Plant advise for my pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have build my pond from scratch last summer, finished it in August added water and a few goldfish. I plan to add more gold fish and some Koi. It's approximately 2200 gallons.

Looking to add some plants, I should mention that I live in Ontario Canada, 45 minutes north of Toronto. So any advise would be great.

Here is a link to a short video........ https://photos.app.goo.gl/WYW4e8PSUdW1YxfK9

The pond is four feet deep with 3 foot, two foot and one foot tables, one foot deep near the scimmer.

Have a look ill consider any suggestions.

Cheers.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome Wwayne, nice pond! How much sun does it get during the day?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588377492747.gif
@Wwayne
Nice pond and love all your flat rocks! You could have the much beloved Marsh Marigold in your pond. It likes winters that get lots of freeze. I can't grow it here where I live but I wish I could.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond! There are a lot of plants that can survive up there.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I plan to add more gold fish and some Koi. It's approximately 2200 gallons.

Before I get into the plant conversation, let me add the standard reminder that koi get VERY LARGE. They add a whole other level of complexity to a pond that should be considered. At 2200 gallons you're probably OK for a couple, but not many more than that. And you could have DOZENS of goldfish in the same amount of space! Just something to think about before you take the koi plunge! Also I just viewed your short video - are you sure you have 2200 gallons?

Anyway! I think it would be really pretty to have lots of things growing in and around the rocks in your waterfall - little sedums and creeping plants abound at the nurseries these days. Some prefer damp areas, others like it really dry. Check the plant tags for the specific needs of anything that looks intriguing.

As for in the pond, some reeds or rushes are great in a pond and they take up a lot of nutrition. Since your shelves are deep, you'll need to raise them up some how. Plant them in pots and put in something to raise the level - some stacked slate or even a couple of rocks strategically placed to hold the pot higher in the pond. In a pot, they might do fine at the one foot level, but most marginal type plants prefer just 6 or 8 inches of water. I've even used a grouping of three or four rocks to build a plant pocket, filled that with gravel and planted in there. The only issue I see is your shallowest spot is near your skimmer, and you don't want to block water flow.

Any of those areas around the edges where the rocks are just near or slightly under water would make good places to tuck in some plants. Go to your local nursery and look for plants that like boggy or wet growing conditions. They may not be listed as pond plants, but lots of them will adapt well to growing in the edges of ponds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Before I get into the plant conversation, let me add the standard reminder that koi get VERY LARGE. They add a whole other level of complexity to a pond that should be considered. At 2200 gallons you're probably OK for a couple, but not many more than that. And you could have DOZENS of goldfish in the same amount of space! Just something to think about before you take the koi plunge! Also I just viewed your short video - are you sure you have 2200 gallons?

Anyway! I think it would be really pretty to have lots of things growing in and around the rocks in your waterfall - little sedums and creeping plants abound at the nurseries these days. Some prefer damp areas, others like it really dry. Check the plant tags for the specific needs of anything that looks intriguing.

As for in the pond, some reeds or rushes are great in a pond and they take up a lot of nutrition. Since your shelves are deep, you'll need to raise them up some how. Plant them in pots and put in something to raise the level - some stacked slate or even a couple of rocks strategically placed to hold the pot higher in the pond. In a pot, they might do fine at the one foot level, but most marginal type plants prefer just 6 or 8 inches of water. I've even used a grouping of three or four rocks to build a plant pocket, filled that with gravel and planted in there. The only issue I see is your shallowest spot is near your skimmer, and you don't want to block water flow.

Any of those areas around the edges where the rocks are just near or slightly under water would make good places to tuck in some plants. Go to your local nursery and look for plants that like boggy or wet growing conditions. They may not be listed as pond plants, but lots of them will adapt well to growing in the edges of ponds.
Thanks Ill keep that in mind.

Wayne

Ask a Question