Plant floaters - any suggestions on a overhanging pond plant I can use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Hope everyone's keeping safe during this unprecedented times.

I've managed to get some pond plant floater rings and would like to see if anyone can recommend a plant I can use that'll overhang and spread out.

Seen something like this but not sure if free floating or in soil.

1587240460426.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That looks like the floating nets I use. Basically a styrofoam ring with a net attached. I bought them on Amazon. Many here have made their own. Some have complained their fish jump into them and get trapped, so they opt to not use them. That has never happened to my fish.

I put some of my floating plants in there so the koi don't eat all their roots. If the plants multiply enough, I'll take some out.

Whoops! Sorry, I failed to realize your question was on plant suggestions. I guess you're attempting to hide the ring. Perhaps look at the many floating plants that online retailers sell. Look for types that grow out in vine like structures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like the floating nets I use. Basically a styrofoam ring with a net attached. I bought them on Amazon. Many here have made their own. Some have complained their fish jump into them and get trapped, so they opt to not use them. That has never happened to my fish.

I put some of my floating plants in there so the koi don't eat all their roots. If the plants multiply enough, I'll take some out.

Whoops! Sorry, I failed to realize your question was on plant suggestions. I guess you're attempting to hide the ring. Perhaps look at the many floating plants that online retailers sell. Look for types that grow out in vine like structures.

Thanks. I have the floaters already but wondering what that plant that picture is and what other plants I can use that will overgrow and spread out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plant in picture is water hyacinth. Water lettuce also a good choice or watercress.

Thanks for the I.D. and sadly hyacinth are banned in UK due to invasive species. Will look at Water lettuce and water cress also.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I let it grow where it wants to grow, like the look the little yellow flowers and it is pretty tough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've planted my floating island with impatiens - It fills out really nicely. And you get a nice pop of color! Let me see if I can find a picture of mine from years past.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On some exciting good news from me, one of my lilies has sprouted and can see the other 4 shooting up slowly but surely :)
Ordering another 6 to plant in pond using kidney baskets, hessian fabric and aquarium soil topped up with small pea stones.

And on another note, some of my fish started doing the hanky panky so hoping to expect to see some littluns if they make it.
Plenty of small hide holes available.

DSC_2403.JPG
has sprouted and

Ask a Question