plant for edge of pond - any ideas

Reaction score
do u see the spot where the electrical outlets are, i would like to replace that plant, anyone have suggestions on a perrenial that will be high enough to cover the outlet.

Attachments

• IMAG0733.jpg
    IMAG0733.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 380

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hosta would cover it any thing with flowers will shed flowers into the pond and you would have to look them up to make sure they would not harm the fish .Liriope big blue would look nice since it looks blue and will add color and it has flowers but not sure about if they are fish safe .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was thinking a Nice variety of Hosta would look great there as well. I'm a sucker for the yellows and blue varieties, But the standard green and variegated white are very hardy and grow to be really nice big plants in just a season or two. BTW, Ponds i really looking great!

Reaction score
Not a flower but would work well there ... Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n' Gold' .. It's one of my favorite euonymus. It is a low grower (under 2') but it does spread up to 3-4' (takes a few years) ... to keep it contained more to a 2' footprint. litterally stab a shovel down through the roots to divide the plant (not quite in half, leave one side bigger). You are NOT supposed to be able to divide it this way, but trust me, you can.

Here's a picture of my newly divided plant in the spring... it's along the side of the patio to the right of the water fall (two euonymus seperated by a purple heath). I bought it as either a 2 or 3 gallon pot spring of 2010 ... it was planted in the front yard, and wanted it by the pond. Hubby dug it up and split it. This isnt a plant that can go IN a pond, but does great next to one... Not picky about sun or shade ... it will give you the height to hide the electric outlet and easy to care for (5 minutes hand pruning each year).

Pond07222012_zps246fbbc3.jpg

Found a picture in my Facebook album of it when I bought it, April, 8, 2010, so attached it.

Attachments

• FB.jpg
    FB.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 270
Reaction score
A fern would work fine, but I wouldn't want to cover an electrical outlet with a plant. Every time something is plugged into it, you have a conflict between plant and cord. I think you are observing things that no one else would notice. You know the outlet is there, so you notice it.

Ask a Question