Plant ID -- another one

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did some more thinning in the turtle bog and came across this plant. At first I thought it was one of the [OMG!] forget-me-nots, but the color is different, the leaves aren't quite the same, and the stem and rooting structures are different. Since I just found it [and cleared some room for it to get sunlight], I can't say what the flowers [if any] look like. It was creeping -- don't know if that's the usual growth habit [again, it was being covered by other plants, so not getting sunlight].

image.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Are you SURE it isn't Water Forget-Me-Not? That's the only plant I can think of that's even CLOSE!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Those leaves look too big to be forget me nots (at least, as compared to my plant). Addy gave me some sort of creeping primrose last year (it disappeared on me, though so none this year to compare) ... and if I recall, the leaves looked like that. Maybe that's it? In your second photo, to the left of your hand, it looks like there's a yellow flower -- or am I seeing things?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@HARO John, no I'm not 100% sure, but when I was pulling the FMN's, this one just looked different somehow. For one thing, it has a tougher, more "woody" stem. And the leaves are very slightly pointed [lance-shaped?], whereas the FMT leaves on my plants are more rounded.

I'll go out in a few and try to get some side-by-side pix. Certainly wouldn't be the 1st time I've mistaken a plant for something else......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, "mystery plant" is most definitely NOT an aquatic Forget-me-Not! Basic science, DUH! The leaves aren't arranged on the stems the same for both plants, and the FMN has hairy leaves, while "mystery" does not.

@addy1 @adavisus Any ideas?

First is the FMN....
image.jpg

Next is "mystery".....
image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep could be, you will see little buds forming at the tops of the plants, that looks like my water willow btw, which is blooming a lot. Grows off runners

Water-Willow-drawing-e1317241457737-223x300.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 I think this plant has been pushed back and hasn't gotten much sunlight due to some other more invasive plants, so it's just now noticed. I don't see any buds yet, but will see what it does in the next few weeks.

Ask a Question