Plant ID help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just redid my container bog & while pulling out the gravel I found a thin root system under the pipes that pushed the pipes up. So, I'm trying to see if I can find which plant it was.

Does anybody know what the long sword like plant is with the relish base? The root were deep & whitish, trying to decide if I put it back in.
20160624_062241_zpsiienyupi.jpg

Here are the other plants. I also have a tall grass bunch, which was rooted really deep. It was a 12" diameter clump, could the roots spread across the whole bottom from them?
20160624_062254_zpsu2h78zdo.jpg

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the depth of your "bog"? Many aquatic plants are deep rooted and will spread across the bottom of a container if not deep enough.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sword like looks like sweet flag, if you snap the tuber does it smell sweet? the roots are not deep on it, around 6 inches i that.
The grass like stuff makes just fine roots but a lot of them, they do go down, not sure if they would push up pipes but could they do get a lot of roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks addy1, these are the plants you sent me two years ago. I put everything back but the grass. At these I think I did, a lot of them look the same.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well neat! They look like the love it there.

I see marsh betony and obedience plant, the marsh has soft spines on its stem the obedience has a smooth stem. My marsh is blooming right now.
I think I see some water willow, it spreads by tubers, short roots.

The grass like stuff was a sedge, it makes lots of roots

Ask a Question