Plant ID Please

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday I bought a number of plants for my pond and bog. There is one I selected because I like the foliage but there was no tag in the pot and I forgot to ask when I paid what it is. I called them today and they said it sounds like “Bayer Tail”?? Obviously I heard it wrong on the phone as I cannot find such a plant.

6A223689-4716-4B7B-8ED4-F397A7A541F6.jpeg

Tks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yesterday I bought a number of plants for my pond and bog. There is one I selected because I like the foliage but there was no tag in the pot and I forgot to ask when I paid what it is. I called them today and they said it sounds like “Bayer Tail”?? Obviously I heard it wrong on the phone as I cannot find such a plant.

View attachment 122089

Tks.
looks like parrot's feather to me
Mine all died last year even with a mild winter
I hear you can bring some inside to overwinter

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is definitely Mare’s Tail and it best to be in water so the pond in this case. I read 4” under but someone stated they do better about 12” down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like to stick it between rocks around the edge of the pond with the ends in The water. I also have it stuck between the rocks of my waterfall where they are within the water flow.
Mare's Tail, Parrot's Feather. They seem to look the same. What's the difference between the two plants? Are they the same?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@poconojoe, not sure the difference as when I first saw it I thought Parrot’s Feather like @qclabrat but after further research and now understanding what the store called it, I know it’s Mare’s Tail but that is all.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have it and it is Mare's tail. I was lucky and found it in a ditch up north of us while camping. I have it in a big pot of kitty litter. That's parrots feather to the right and it's also in a big pot of kitty litter.

IMG_9154.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant in the first post is a Water-milfoil (Myriophyllum) in the family Haloragaceae. The plant pictured looks most similar to Whorled Water-milfoil (Myriophyllum verticillatum), which is native to both North America and Eurasia. Parrot's feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum), is also in the same genus, but it is a more frost-tender species introduced from South America.

Of course, the common name, Mare's-tail, could be applied to anything but in North America, it usually refers to Hippuris vulgaris in the Plantain Family (Plantaginaceae). In the U.K., the name Mare's-tail is also used to refer to Equisetum spp., which are called Horsetail in North America.

The photo in the eighth post seems to show both Hippuris vulgaris and Myriophyllum aquaticum.

Ask a Question