plant identification would be nice

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
these pics are of 2 different plants that i would like identified... the last was thought to be watercress but i dont think so. the first started as a couple small patches last year but has taken over the majority of my watefall mound. grows in the water between rocks or will drop roots off the stems as it grows out on the waters surface.theres even a couple of patches floating and doing fine as far as i can tell.the smaller stuff thought to be watercress stayed green all winter with purplish leaf edges if i recall correctly.. the larger (first pics) is definately an invasive species. popping up in the lawn around the edges of waterfall area as well.
anyways..heres a few pics, any ideas?...pics 1&2 are the same plant..the areas thatare in the water get the purpley color.
SANY1893.jpg

SANY1896.jpg

SANY1895.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanks addy. its none of those..tried a few sites. havent found them. theyre both probably just a local weed. but they both look good and theyre keeping my koi at bay on the plants i want in the pond.. usually my lilly numbers would have fallen much more dramatically by now. i used to pull up to 20 pads a day out that were floating. this year i'm netting out chunks of these plants, but it serems they can keep up with the fish's desrructive impulses! lol.
i actually use the hedge trimmer to keep the height down on the plants on the waterfall mound. i may pull the rocks off the mound since theyre covered by it and you cant see them anyways.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have some weeds that actually look nice, just need to keep them under control, ow they do take over. Actually if we didn't have that creeping charlie weed our grass lawn would be mainly dirt, the ground is so rocky and lousy grass does not like it. The charlie keeps it green lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
IN MY OPINION..."THERE ONLY WEEDS IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM!" if theyre decorative, or can serve a purpose..they aint weeds!
MAKES ME WONDER EXACTLY WHO DECIDED YEARS AGO, WHAT WE SHOULD CONSIDER WEEDS ANYWAYS? WAS IT SOME GOVERNMENT AGENCY? A FEW SCIENTISTS? SOME OLD LADIES SITTING ON A PORCH SOMEWHERE? WHO?....LOL

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
very true... lately I've been letting the whole fenced off area around the pond go nuts, let the grass grow, lets the crazy weds take over (some of them come up with cool flowers anyway)

I trample down some of the tall grass where i need to walk, but everything else can do whatever it wants, looks more natural to me anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The first picture looks a lot like my oregano, and it is hardy enough to grow in your area. Have you tried rubbing the leaves to see if it smells like an herb? Mine decided to start spreading this year... it has always remained confined to my herb garden, but this year it started sprouting up around the new pond, so I've been plucking it out to keep it contained. I'm betting the stuff would spread fairly fast if allowed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I saw a sign at a nursery i used to go to that said " A weed is but a unloved flower"
Two of my favorite weeds are blackberry vines and butterfly bushes. Both grow natural here.
Addy sent me a plant this year that I think is either peppermint or mint or something in that line. It's growing in leaps and bounds
and the koi are doing the same thing to it. Every time a new shoot reaches the pond they nibble it away, but the more it grows
the more that is reaching the water and the more the Koi seem to be tearing it apart.
Wish I could help on the pics you posted, No such luck from me. But the one in the second pic that has the purple tint
is pretty neat looking. Is it growing in a moist or water covered condition? I wonder how it would do in a bog? I like it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water mint fishin, grows great, flowers nice, easy to yank if it gets out of control.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had water mint in my pond until 2009...this has a minty mixed with pinesol smell... i cant really remember the mint smell. but the purplish planrt is the same as the first pic. purple in the water green in the ground. like i said it just about covers the waterfall mound. its popped up around the rocks at the waters edge..it is definately an invasive plant, needing to be kept in check. but easily done. i think it may just be mint.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Water mint fishin, grows great, flowers nice, easy to yank if it gets out of control.
Flowers huh? Great, that hsould be a show! LOL It's taken over that whole end of the pond! What was it i got from you that blooms the lavender very small flowers on stalks? Touch me not? It's really growing very well and it's been blooming for about two weeks. It's becoming one of my favorite summer plants in the bog. behind the Mickey Mouse Taro.

Attachments

• Koi pond pics 047.JPG
    Koi pond pics 047.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Koi pond pics 046.JPG
    Koi pond pics 046.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 354

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
KOIGUY -- The plant in the 1st pic, does it bloom with blue or purplish flowers? I have something that looks just like that. It's been in the backyard for years. No idea where it came from -- one day it appeared. It is invasive, but controllable, and I've left it alone 'cause I like the color of the flowers, and it fills in a dead spot. I'm going to pull some and put it in the pond to see what it does, if it turns reddish-purple like yours [they look like 2 completely different plants!].

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fishin and koiguy

Fishin,
I have two with purple flowers, well three with purple, one is the water willow, small flowers Post a picture if you want then I can tell you

marsh betony Mine was blooming great, on a bloom pause right now, but obedience plant now blooming great
DSC04011.jpg

obedience plant

DSC02024.jpg

koiguy, this is what my water mint looks like, in the water and out. can't miss the mint smell if you crush it

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

flowers (pict from net) mine is just blooming

WaterMint.jpg

Ask a Question