Plant leaves turn yellow in main pond.

Reaction score
Wondering if someone could explain the reason for this happening. I have a main pond with goldfish and koi in it. Off to the side I have an area about 5x5 and 2 ft deep that has nothing but plants in it. The same water is being pumped through both. The plants that are in the main pond are looking shabby and yellow, but the plants in the smaller non fish area are lush ,green and growing out of control. Any thoughts on this?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe the koi are eating their roots? They eat all the plants they can stuff in their piggy mouths ya know :cool:

Reaction score
Thats a possible pondbuilder since I haven't repotted them in forever. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to check on that tomorrow. I figured since they didn't jump the pot or split the sides they were ok.

Reaction score
I'd check the depth of the pots. Might be to deep and causing root rot. How's the sun in that area? Also what media are the plants in? Might need some fert if they arn't in gravel. Roots could be spiraling around itself.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As Kenneth is saying, how long has it been in the same pot, some do need separating after a couple of years as the over fill the pot and actually start starving the plant itself out.

Reaction score
Lilies are about 18 to 20" deep and the rest are on plant shelve. All plants are potted in pea gravel and full sun. I know the land plants when they turn yellow are lacking iron. Don't know if its the same for water plants. I did read somewhere on the net that you can add liquid iron to your pond and will help green them up without hurting the fish. Anyone try this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have a bottom drain in both ponds? The plant pond may be like a settlement chamber getting extra fish poop in it, therefore more nutrients. just a thought.

Reaction score
I'd run a nitrate test if you can. I wonder if thier low and starving the plants. And the bogs doing better because the solids that it gets to fed on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just looked at my hyacinth, the stuff in the big pond, yellowish, the stuff in the small ponds fed by the same water, nice and green. The water in the small ponds is warmer, and the stream is not running 24/7 so probably a better collection of nutrients for the plants.

And the small ponds are almost like a settlement chamber, junk collects on the bottom of the ponds, to be cleaned out end of season.

Reaction score
I took some of the pots out of the main pond and checked on the roots. Sure enough they were rotted, soft and mushy. What causes the roots to rot? They are water plants after all.
As far as the plant pond is concerned , it does act as a settlement chamber. Is all that stuff that settles good for the plants or should it be cleaned out regularly? Thanks for all your help.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mr Magoo said:
I took some of the pots out of the main pond and checked on the roots. Sure enough they were rotted, soft and mushy. What causes the roots to rot? They are water plants after all.
As far as the plant pond is concerned , it does act as a settlement chamber. Is all that stuff that settles good for the plants or should it be cleaned out regularly? Thanks for all your help.

I leave mine alone till end of year. It has not affected my water quality at all, and the plants love it. (this is the smaller stream ponds, no fish, just frogs, tads, snails and plants)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mr Magoo said:

Anerobic bacteria, Nasty little guys! They cause hydrogen sulfide build up which is deadly to plants and fish.

Reaction score
Root rot, bummer. Did you have them just a tad to deep in the water? Try pulling as much of the rotting roots off and repot. Just make sure to leave enough to grow. Might have to cut back foliage to help it if there isn't a lot of roots left. Could also try leaving them out of the pond for a few weeks and just water them until some fresh roots grow.

Ask a Question