plant protection ring

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I bought this fish trap for about $20.00 from Amazon and zip tied it to a vinyl tube ring. I think it will work to keep fish from eating the roots of my plants....A lot easier than sewing screen on BUT obviously more costly...I'm just getting lazy in my old age:) P1000288.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some that I made myself and wish that I had used bigger tubing as the fish can jump right in there but never seem to jump out. That is a nice looking one and not a bad price at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well thank you addy1 and j.w ...I hope my fish don't jump in there...Too bad I didn't read this before buying the tubing as I could have purchased a larger diameter...Oh well...We shall see....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well thank you addy1 and j.w ...I hope my fish don't jump in there...Too bad I didn't read this before buying the tubing as I could have purchased a larger diameter...Oh well...We shall see....

Most of the time w/the jumping seemed to be when spawning was occurring and they kind of did a roll, twist, jump thing. At least it was only a few that did it but also when eggs were laid near the rings the baby fish are so tiny that they fit through the small holes and there were tons of them in the net. I dumped them all out into the pond and most all the babies disappeared after that. I could not have hundreds of baby fish living in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I will have to check the baskets often I guess just in case. I will try a few outside of the ring to see if they eat them but with 50 fish I don’t have a lot of confidence that they won’t.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice job @rubyduby - I love creative thinking! Like @j.w suggested, just watch your fish for jumpers. We have to be careful not to get food into our floating island or the fish will somehow know it's there and try to jump in and get it! Our goldfish would never make it in, but our big koi used to do it all the time. They would climb up on rocks to get a morsel of food!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What kind of plants are you wanting to put in your pond? I know you have koi and if it's water lilies you want to put in there they do sometimes love those roots. I don't have koi, just goldfish and I have no clue how those koi will react to the ring. Those fish get huge and might just do whatever they please to terrorize that ring of lilies. Who knows maybe they will just ignore the ring. Guess we shall see. Hoping for the best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
They haven’t attacked any of my lilies...I have read that they do munch on water hyacinth and water lettuce though so at least by protecting them while young they will get a fighting chance. Not crazy about the look of rings though even though they are very low key. I don’t like anything that looks unnatural.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I removed my ring as it was too good at saving babies and it did collect a lot of muck eventually. Not sure that really matters tho about the muck as it was full of muck loving Azolla or Duckweed usually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hmmm....I never thought about the muck. I’ve only had them in the water for a couple of hours and the netting is already getting silted up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Nice job @rubyduby - I love creative thinking! Like @j.w suggested, just watch your fish for jumpers. We have to be careful not to get food into our floating island or the fish will somehow know it's there and try to jump in and get it! Our goldfish would never make it in, but our big koi used to do it all the time. They would climb up on rocks to get a morsel of food!
Wow, sounds like you have some athletic koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you Lisak1 for the compliment :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmm....I never thought about the muck. I’ve only had them in the water for a couple of hours and the netting is already getting silted up.
Don't worry about the muck, it will help feed the plants

Ask a Question