MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Coming closer to getting the pond in....and, I am looking at plants. I already have Anacharis I will transfer from my aquarium to the pond, but I am not sure what else to get for this size pond. Any suggestions?

Pond is 425 gallons...hexagon about 6' (long diagonal) x 5' (short diagonal) and is 30" deep. No shelves built in and I don't think I want to start putting in bricks or cinderblocks to make plant platforms or mess with potting soil in the pond. No idea what might be good for this situation and small scale.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can make my hanging plant pockets out of window screening .I plant in kitty litter and crushed oyster shells and pdz .Crushed oyster shells help ph and pdz helps ammonia swings and kitty litter helps keep water clean .crushed oyster shells are at farm stores also an is for chickens
100_8742.JPG
100_8748.JPG

Attachments

• 100_9961.JPG
    100_9961.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
I like the idea of floating beds.

I once strapped plastic rain gutter over the side and planted Four Leaf Water Clover, Marsilea mutica. It's a pretty reliable plant, easy to propagate, leaves float and spread out over the surface. Kind of a quick ground cover while others come up to speed. The leaves aren't too big and have a lily look on a small scale when trimmed.

The gutter didn't look too great though...I didn't do a very good job. Pots can be hung over the side too with straps. I use plastic hanger strap which only last a couple years in the sun so there's probably better options.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you waterbug that is a great compliment for me and my somewhat strange ways to do things .Some work some don't but I still try . I love coming up with things for my pond .I use the window screen to hold things like activated charcoal in my filters also .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I came up with an idea to use a coat hanger clipped off and only using the top part and attaching it to the plant pocket so I can hang it off the stock tanks by the top of the hanger

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What kind of plants would you recommend for my pond....425 gallons...hexagon about 6' (long diagonal) x 5' (short diagonal) and is 30" deep?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would choose one really pretty water lily - that can be right at the bottom of your pond and will provide lots of pond coverage. Choose one of the smaller varieties - the big ones can spread 6 feet wide! Anything else you decide to plant can float or, as @sissy does, hang from the side. And that would work for just about any marginal. Just look for things that have smaller growth habits - you don't want your plants to outsize your pond. Things like parrots feather or forget-me-not can float freely with just a bit of root anchored near the edge. You can try floating hyacinth or water lettuce - some people grow them with ease, while others don't have as much luck. But they are cheap and you'll learn fast if your pond can support them. Just get one - they multiply fast!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I checked out the William Tricker site and am thinking of an Aurora Hardy Pygmy Lily, and I probably will hang 3 other plants from the side using the screening idea from sissy. Those with my Anacharis I already have growing should be plenty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an above ground pond. I have hardy lilies, mini cattails, flag Iris, --and water hyacinth in the past but I have to replace it every year due to cold and my source is no longer available.

Ask a Question