Plant recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Anyone have any recommendations on plants / moss that need very little sun that can go around and between the rocks?
Already have my eye on creeping jenny ,,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Parrots Feather? I stick that all over the place. In between rocks. No soil needed, just contact with the water. My pond has partial sun and it does well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have an area in my backyard where I lamented that the grass just wouldn't grow. After neglecting it one rainy spring, I found lots of moss! I took up small sheets of it and patted it onto the moist rocks near the waterfall. It has taken over!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mind your own business is very nice
Soleirolia soleirolii (Helxine soleirolii)
i use this round my pond gives a bit of an oriental feel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is it really called "mind your business"? We call this babies tears - very pretty, spreads like crazy!
Many names it can go by

Soleirolia soleirolii is a plant in the nettle family. It has a number of common names, including baby's tears, angel's tears, bits and pieces, bread and cheese, Corsican creeper, Corsican curse, friendship plant, mind-your-own-business, mother of thousands, Paddy's wig, and pollyanna vine. Wikipedia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Many names it can go by

Soleirolia soleirolii is a plant in the nettle family. It has a number of common names, including baby's tears, angel's tears, bits and pieces, bread and cheese, Corsican creeper, Corsican curse, friendship plant, mind-your-own-business, mother of thousands, Paddy's wig, and pollyanna vine. Wikipedia
Wow! That's a lot of aliases!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Parrots Feather? I stick that all over the place. In between rocks. No soil needed, just contact with the water. My pond has partial sun and it does well.

They come in a bunch of 10. Did you plant each one individually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They come in a bunch of 10. Did you plant each one individually?
Idk...I guess it depends on the size of the space between the rocks. Small space probably just one. Big space, maybe 2-3 spread out.

I usually buy a big pot of parrots feather from a local nursery. The plant is huge and a big clump hangs a couple feet below the pot.

I'll separate some pieces and stick them in between rocks with the root in the water. They fill in nicely.

The main plant goes in the bog. The long stuff hanging down grows in the rushing water returning to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I seem to find a lot of "pond plants" sold as regular plants at regular nurseries and big box stores for less money.
Creeping Jenny, parrots feather, papyrus and umbrella plant, loads of grasses, cardinal plant, irises, marsh marigold are some.
You can buy watercress at the supermarket.
Look around, you'll be amazed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I seem to find a lot of "pond plants" sold as regular plants at regular nurseries and big box stores for less money.
Creeping Jenny, parrots feather, papyrus and umbrella plant, loads of grasses, cardinal plant, irises, marsh marigold are some.
You can buy watercress at the supermarket.
Look around, you'll be amazed.

That's the best kept secret of pond plants - your nurseries all carry them, but they may not even know it. I love to walk in and ask for pond plants and when they say "no, sorry. We don't carry those" I start naming them off and they realize that they DO have aquatic plants. Hopefully they learn something for the next person who walks in and asks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
i have some parrot feather and " mind-your-own-business " on their way to me..
.. need to get somthing done,, all we got around the pond are rocks and dirt lol

Ask a Question