plant shelf ideas?

Reaction score
So, the upside of a pond with steep edges (first shelf is 2 feet down) is predator deterence. The downside is, most of the plants I want (marginals!) can't handle that depth.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can use to place plants on? Something inconspicuous and fish and water safe?

Currently, I'm using a couple of old wire drawers I had kicking around, but they're unsightly (white), and they will rust pretty soon.

In one corner, I attached a basket by nailing up into the cap board, however, while it looks nice, I don't love it: I worry constantly that the weight of the basket will pull the nails out and then I'll have nails in my pond, and a hole in my liner... paranoid? maybe, but I REALLY don't want to end up with a leaking pond!

I've heard of using black plastic milk crates but a)don't know where to find them and b)most of the ledge is only 6-8" wide. There are 4 spots that are wider (all four corners).

I'd also love to rig some sort of tallish stand for the middle of the pond, where the fish could still swim through it, but I could place one of my waterlilies on it...Maybe some sort of PVC construction?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have several chimney flue liners that I use as plant holders. They are ceramic and come in several sizes. They also give the fish a place to hide from preditors. They can be found at most building supply stores.

Reaction score
Hey chilligirl,

I do have plant shelves in my pond and am very glad I do. (I love plants) This is my third year in this house with no predator problems. I think it's because I have two large dogs that the racoons don't bother with the pond.

For a plant stand for the center of the pond I used milk crates. I used a jig saw and cut out all four sides. It makes a nice sturdy stand and gives the fish some security and shade. I went to my corner store and asked for a couple milk crates. You can buy similar crates a most Walmarts. I always try to find them in black, dark blue or brown so they aren't so visible.

My upper shelves are a foot deep. Here, when needed, I just use old bricks to lift the pots to the desired level. For your shelves, which are deeper than mine, I would suggest going to your local music store (or maybe Walmart has them in the music dept) and picking up the mini milk crates that are sold to store music cds in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Unless you really want plants there I say leave it. I have an area with a 18" deep shelf area. I put some rock and pebble down to make it look natural and left it. Turned out better than I thought. This is also the area I enter the pond if I need to so i like not having it planted so I'm not trampling over anything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screening and make pockets .I have several plants hanging over the side of my pond in them
101_1342.JPG

Ask a Question