plant shelf ?

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I'm planning on starting my pond soon and just fine tuning plans. Here's my question. If you were only going to to do 1 plant shelf what depth would it be?

Location - SWMO
size - 5'W x 14'L x 3' D
goldfish not koi
plant types - lillies, coontail, and floaters

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may have to rethink the depth of your pond .I would also think about predators if you put in a plant shelf .Gives predators easy access to your fish .I use crates to lift my plants to the height I need and cut out a small section of the crate to give fish a place to hide inside it .This way i can put my plants where ever I want too

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
good point. Now with it being 5' wide would you take the sides straight down or angle them in some?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually angled mine out .I know strange but decided to see how it would work and only did 1 side like that .But rest of my sides are straight down that way if there is a predator he has no area to grab hold of .Plus found my lilies did better in the center of the pond on top of the crate .Advantage of that is you can see or feed your fish from any side .I use my home made plant pockets I made out of screening and fishing wire
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51626]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51624]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:50506]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46399]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:45856]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:45857]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:45699]I got the idea from a pond kit I saw at lowes

Ask a Question