Plant Suggestions Zone 9

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I am in the Phoenix, Az area and I need help.

I would like to add taller plants 3 to 4 ft (max). not too aggressive. The area of the pond gets about 2 hours of morning sun and then mostly shade till very late evening. I will be pruning my tree to allow dappled sun but as it fills in sun will be reduced until I get around to trimming again. Water is about 4 to 8 inches deep with a gravel bottom to root the plants. I would like 2 at least different plants. Last year we had over 100 days 100 degrees or more and we experience an occasional frost in winter.

Also, I have been told that tropical Water Lilies do not do well here. All I have is a couple of white lilies. Does anyone know of a colorful lily that will survive our frightfully cold winters? haha

Right now water temps are at 54, and we have only had one light frost this season but we have lived here 11 years and it did get down to 25/26 about 8 years ago.

I also have some Val grass (leaves get about 2-3 feet long that I will be thinning in February when it starts to get warmer. If anyone would like some and it's warm enough to ship, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You could try Blue Flag Iris, which is a North American native specie that can grow in zones 4-9. It doesn't naturally grow out west, but that doesn't mean it can't. It blooms for a short period. It may or may not bloom in shadier situations, but the plant itself still seems to do fine in shade.

IMG_2626 copy.jpg

IMG_2730 copy.jpg

IMG_2734 copy.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Papyrus, taros, arrow arum, would do okay in minimal sun.

Ask a Question