Plant toxicity and use in an aquarium - Misc. Topic

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hope everyone is well.

I'd like to experiment with botanicals in a new 150L (40 Gallon) tank im setting up. Mostly going to have small schooling fish in it.

I would like to ask if anyone knows if pecan nut shells (Carya illinoinensis) and Moreton Bay Chestnut (Castanospermum australe) seed pods are safe to use in the aquarium?

I have previously used mulberry (Morus alba) leaves, leaves and flowers from various orchids which I grow as well as Guiana chestnut leaves (Pachira aquatica) in my tanks with success. But now I would like to diversify a bit.

I am aware of having to soak in saline, boil and dry the botanical before use.

I realise this is not strictly related to gardening, but I have had no luck finding an answer on fish keeping forums. I hope that there will some experts here who can help me.

Thank you.

All and any help is greatly appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626648751451.gif
@ShapShapLekkerPap
No clue!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Welcome to Garde Pond Forum!
So are you are asking is Carya Illinoisenis safe to use as a substrate?
But my question is why? There are a bunch of us on this forum who keep planted aquariums in addition to ponds and for sure we can help.
Here is a link that might help: https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/carill/all.html
Thank you...

I don't want to use the shells as a substrate but rather add a few to the surface of the substrate along with other plant parts I mentioned for decorative purposes - a way to mimic how a river bed may look in the wild.

Thank you for the link.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thank you...

I don't want to use the shells as a substrate but rather add a few to the surface of the substrate along with other plant parts I mentioned for decorative purposes - a way to mimic how a river bed may look in the wild.

Thank you for the link.
Makes much more sense, I would personally take all the precautionary steps mentioned above and seal if with a thin layer of clear fish safe sealant just to make sure, and most likely improve the longevity of such an organic.

of course this would reduce the affect of any tannins these may produce but that would be easy to add back in through many types of known fish safe leaves.

Ask a Question