Planted

Will Mazuma Wasabi survive in my bog filter? It is under full shaded.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
20211216_185725.jpg

I am in Melbourne, Australia. Temperature can go up to low 40 Celsius in summer. Winter night can be reaches 2-3 degrees.
What do you guys think? I'll try to post update on it once in awhile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Celsius and Fahrenheit in the same thread, miscommunication is sure to follow.

The Japanese Wasabi plant (Eutrema japonica, formerly Wasabia japonica) in the Mustard Family (Brassicaceae) is native to mildly cool, coastal mountain streams.

The winter lows in the OP's garden are 3º C/37º F, so that is significantly higher than the temperature where Wasabi is reported to show frost damage -2º C/27º F.

However, the heat tolerance of Wasabi is limited, with reports that it will begin to suffer above which is only 25º C/77º F, so it is quite possible that Summer heat will undo wasabi in Melbourne. Climate change does not bode well for wasabi...

Still, I am glad you are giving it a try, and please let us know the results. I would be curious to hear about any success or failure.

I'm not going to vote on the poll, as I don't usually find them helpful. It's better to consider the details than go with a simple 'yes' or 'no'.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
From my research, mazuma wasabi do better in bog. It just slower to mature.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It seem that the wasabi need a bit of sun. It was sitting under the taro and wasn't getting any direct sun light. I removed the taro a few months ago. Now, they have half a day of morning sun. It seem to be doing much better. I bough 3 tiny plants and now I have divided them into 6.
20220813_084850.jpg

20220813_084910.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On super hot days a light sail to shade the plants it will help them not to get burned out.

But either way I'd not rely on a heat intolerant plant as my bog plant in australia. There are so many Incredible tropical plants out there to chose from.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
They will be under the shade of the elm tree in summer.

Unfortunately, I am in Victoria. It is very dry and hot in summer, and frosty in winter. My bogs are raised, so I would referred small plants. Still trying out all sort of different plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is a build down under maybe it can help though its an advanced pond

Ask a Question