Planting Beds inside the pond? Clay kitty litter covered in pea gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting to get ready to fill my pond with plants. I went to the pond store and got some canna, arrowhead, and pickerel rush I think all be divided. Not sure if I will do that now or wait till fall. I've been reading up on how to do the planting and was thinking of building some planting beds instead of putting them in pots.

What should I use? Can I do the clay kitty litter then cover it with pea gravel or river rock? or should I just do peagravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For the plants on the shelves in my pond I use pea gravel topped with river rock, or just river rock. I don't use any type of clay or planting medium for them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll third that - enough gravel, rock or a combination of both to hold the plants in place until they get rooted. Make sure you don't plant anything deeper than it likes to grow. If you need to, use rocks or gravel to raise it up on the shelf to the appropriate height. And for what it's worth - if you have plants ready to divide, I'd do it now, before planting. Once they get growing in the pond, it's more of a challenge.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And I go with all of the above, as well. I have read (on here, I think) where someone used clay kitty litter like you are suggesting, but I think that would just be messy! All the plants need is something to anchor their roots into. They don’t need a substrate, as those roots will be sucking up nutrients from the water.

Ask a Question