Planting Medium for Water Hibiscus

Reaction score
We are trying to start some water hibiscus cuttings and are unsure what would be the best material to use in the pot...should it be clay material, sand or what?!?....we do not want to cloud the water or encourage algae or hurt our fish....last year we got some aquatic plant media....the stuff was horrible like cat litter and it seeped out of the pot and made a horrid mess in the pond...I will never use it again. Years ago we got some fantastic stuff from a local nursery, but they do not carry it anymore nor do they remember ever carrying it - how convenient?!?

We went to a local sand/gravel place and they have some silty clay which has really good substance when wet (which it will always be) and when dry is like light dust - we are afraid that it may have oils in it - is that a worthy fear?....should we not even consider using it?...will it do any harm to the pond/fish/plants/equipment?

So, any suggestions/assistance would be helpful.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have been using pea gravel from my driveway for years. Works great. No dirt or fertilizer ever goes into my ponds.

Reaction score
I guess it is unanimous....pea gravel it will be!

Dr. Dave, you do not use pondtabbs in your flowering plants i.e. hardy lillies?!? I was under the impression that you HAD to use them to promote good flowering and pads. Also, if using pondtabbs and the pea gravel wouldn't the tabbs be more prone to flush their stuff into the pond? If you do not use pondtabbs then how are your lillies.

If you use just pea gravel in all of your plants then are you depending on the nutrients in the pond water to give the plants sufficient nourishment?

Sorry if I sound confused (hence 'koifused') just trying to clear things up.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback :biggrin:

Reaction score
Can river rock (the small variety) be substituted? Just in case it gets free and on the liner to avoid sharp edges?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koifused said:
I guess it is unanimous....pea gravel it will be!

Dr. Dave, you do not use pondtabbs in your flowering plants i.e. hardy lillies?!? I was under the impression that you HAD to use them to promote good flowering and pads. Also, if using pondtabbs and the pea gravel wouldn't the tabbs be more prone to flush their stuff into the pond? If you do not use pondtabbs then how are your lillies.

If you use just pea gravel in all of your plants then are you depending on the nutrients in the pond water to give the plants sufficient nourishment?

Sorry if I sound confused (hence 'koifused') just trying to clear things up.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback :biggrin:

No dirt or fertilizer ever goes into my ponds
My water lilies flower all summer without any outside help...

Reaction score
good to know, i was about to order some fertilizer because my lily hasnt grown at all :biggrin: it was one i bought from petsmart, tetra brand, in the peatmoss and netting, dropped it in and it only has gotten about 4 inch tall, no where near the water line.... its in about 1 1/2 ft deep

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am not a water lilly expert even though everyone who comes here tries to buy mine (which are not for sale). That said, they take time, mine are anywhere from 3 to 10 years old. I don't expect much when they are less than a year old. They take time to mature a little like a fine wine.
I take mine out whenever I have to chase the Koi around and clean them up by trimming back dead and yellowing leaves all the way back to the pot. I carefully put them back in and untwist the shoots and that is all I do. They like a little current, not too much, and they get all the nutrients from the fish.

Ask a Question