Planting on a slope

Reaction score
I've spent most of this year bulding my first fish pond (3x3x1m approx)... and there has been some minor design flaws but most things work well.

7 little and 2 medium sized Koi are happily swimming around now. I have put in 3 pot plants. 2 Small pots of hardy water lilies and 1 large pot of hardy water lilies (for some reason they have some reddish/brownish botches/edges on them and aren't homogenously green) and parrot feather near the middle on my pond (probably shouldn't have planted them in the middle/deepest part).

One problem I realised was that i wanted to plant some parrot feather on the side but due to another poor design choice they're all on a 45 degrees slope. Any idea how I would plant them in? I was thinking of making a sort of sling or pouch that hangs on two posts/trees and into the water to hold the pots...but how would i keep them upright?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
3 pot plants eh, lol! No wonder your koi are happily swimming around in there! If you have rocks on the side of your pond you can just tuck the root ends of the Parrots Feather in between the rocks if they can be immersed in the water. If your rocks are up out of the water and dry then you can't do that tho. Some of us use floating plant rings made out of black tubing w/ plastic screen/fencing attached to the bottom so koi can't destroy the plants as they sometimes like to do when they get larger. Just stick the Parrots Feather in there and you can attach the ring to the side of the pond w/ some fish line to keep it where you want it. See here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/2581-floating-planter-rings/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather can just float around, but sometimes it does better anchored where there is a good flow of water. A plant right like jw says might be your best answer with it just anchored via a rope where you want it to stay.
Koi most likely will eat up your plants as they grow, they tend to be plant munchers. But then again you might be lucky and have non plant eating koi!

Reaction score
Hmm yea, I'm thinking of anchoring it somewhere...might be a good 'natural' spawning area too xD. However I didn't want any soil or anything depositing into the pond...hmm maybe I'll try tying a bunch of them up in several bags (add some pebbles to hold it down) and tying them down onto some ropes or something (cause i dont' want them to float all over the place but just stay to one side)...Not sure if I can put some rocks down though: it'll just slide down the slope =P

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do like I did use a laundry bag made into a sling and plant in the sling and the sling is held up by a stake I put in the ground farther back from the pond. I used rope that was tied to the sling and then wrapped around the stake and hid that with rocks so you could not see it

Ask a Question