Planting Pockets DIY - many thanks to @sissy

AndyZoner

Fledgling Pond Caretaker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@sissy’s window screen socks are awesome!

I tweaked her idea a bit since I didn’t have enough window screen to go all the way up under the rocks and I wanted to make a "sock" with multiple planting pockets like in the last pic. The window screen pockets are 6” deep and 8” wide. The screen extends about 2.5” above the pocket and then is sewn to a 100% polyester material (actually a pair of thick polyester pants I never wear).

They are working great! The blue eyed grass I planted in the rock rack in the waterfall box were starting to rot (I learned they don’t like their crowns under water). I moved them to the screen planting pockets and they are sooo much happier.

I love that I can place my plants at whatever water level I want. Just wet feet? Fill the pocket with gravel. 1” of water over the crown? Don’t use as much gravel.

Thank you sooo much @sissy! Not only do I have tons more room for plants, but they look so much more natural than pots or baskets. I love sitting on the benches - you can’t see the pockets, but you can see the tops of the plants poking up around the rocks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG