Planting questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just ordered parrots feather and water clover. Can someone tell me the best way to plant these in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tucked the roots of my parrot's feather into the gravel along the edges of my pond and/or weighed the roots down along the edge with a large-ish rock allowing the rest of the plant to trail out into the water. I've been throwing out parrot's feather by the bucket-full every spring, summer & fall ever since. (In other words - it's been growing like the aquatic weed it is!! lol. Which doesn't mean I don't love it for what it does in the pond!)

I've never done water clover, so I can't give first-hand experience with that one, but based on what I've read, I'd be tempted to anchor its roots along the edge of the pond & allow it to trail out. ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I tucked the roots of my parrot's feather into the gravel along the edges of my pond and/or weighed the roots down along the edge with a large-ish rock allowing the rest of the plant to trail out into the water. I've been throwing out parrot's feather by the bucket-full every spring, summer & fall ever since. (In other words - it's been growing like the aquatic weed it is!! lol. Which doesn't mean I don't love it for what it does in the pond!)

I've never done water clover, so I can't give first-hand experience with that one, but based on what I've read, I'd be tempted to anchor its roots along the edge of the pond & allow it to trail out. ??
Thank you BKH..You always take the time to help and I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I planted my parrot's feather (that @addy1 sent me!) in a pot that's on my first shelf - so about 8-10 inches below the surface. I was trying to see if I could get it to overwinter and come back, and it did! I actually have three pots of it set around the pond. This year I'm going to see if I can naturalize it - I really prefer to be pot-less in the pond whenever possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather and clover from my experience which is limited , both do better at the surface i put parrot feather a good foot deep water and its growing but slow while the feather that it in 2 inches of water is cranking. the clover is the same way if not more so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Like @Lisak1 , I too have parrots feather from @addy1 . I planted some directly into the bog and let it over winter, uncovered. It is coming back, but slowly. I also put the roots of parrots feather in a mesh bag and secured it near the water's surface in my pond, which is covered for the winter. It actually continued to grow all winter long and is doing well......except my koi love to chomp on it !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I love this forum...So many helpful people willing to share their failures and triumphs which saves us newbies from making big mistakes.
Thank you Lisak1, GBBUDD and Tula!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I planted my parrot's feather (that @addy1 sent me!) in a pot that's on my first shelf - so about 8-10 inches below the surface. I was trying to see if I could get it to overwinter and come back, and it did! I actually have three pots of it set around the pond. This year I'm going to see if I can naturalize it - I really prefer to be pot-less in the pond whenever possible.
Was your pot filled with a planting media or gravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Parrots feather and clover from my experience which is limited , both do better at the surface i put parrot feather a good foot deep water and its growing but slow while the feather that it in 2 inches of water is cranking. the clover is the same way if not more so.
Did you plant your clover and parrots feather in gravel or some kind of media?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I really prefer to be pot-less in the pond whenever possible.
I have some parrots feather (when starting it) in a small pot with kitty litter, one of the ponds it was just tossed in and it has taken over! The stream pond I just tossed it in. It is growing like weeds, already needing to purge it, ie yank and toss. We did have a warmish winter, but it has survived our cold winters. I have it mainly in my non fish ponds, Do have some in the 1000 fish pond and the hot tub fish pond, they ignore it. The frogs love resting on it.

I have three different varieties.

I had water clover, it just died so gone! It was neat while growing. That I put in a pot with some kitty litter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My Parrots Feather from Addy is in a big huge pot of kitty litter w/roots about 8" down below surface of water. I like to keep it contained in one area and it seems to like it better in my pond in the litter rather than just shoving their roots down inbetween the rocks into the water. Never had any Water Clover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have some parrots feather (when starting it) in a small pot with kitty litter, one of the ponds it was just tossed in and it has taken over! The stream pond I just tossed it in. It is growing like weeds, already needing to purge it, ie yank and toss. We did have a warmish winter, but it has survived our cold winters. I have it mainly in my non fish ponds, Do have some in the 1000 fish pond and the hot tub fish pond, they ignore it. The frogs love resting on it.

I have three different varieties.

I had water clover, it just died so gone! It was neat while growing. That I put in a pot with some kitty litter.
Thank you, that helps a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My Parrots Feather from Addy is in a big huge pot of kitty litter w/roots about 8" down below surface of water. I like to keep it contained in one area and it seems to like it better in my pond in the litter rather than just shoving their roots down inbetween the rocks into the water. Never had any Water Clover.
Thank you for the help.

Ask a Question