Planting watercress with roots

Reaction score
I found some watercress at the grocery store, but these have the roots in a small clumped with dirt. How would I plant these? Should I remove as much dirt as possible or do I want to keep the soil it has? I am planning on using some small aquatic planters I have and throw them on the shelf and move my aerating stone near the baskets to create water movement.

In a week or so I will be building a waterfall so I may move them there once everything is completed, but I saw these with roots and figured I better buy them since I only see them in bunches without roots.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Score!!! I have never seen them as potted plants ... I wish LOL ...

To plant, it is your choice of soil, litter, or gravel .. the ones I grew (from the produce section) I used normal potting soil, but put gravel into the bottom of the pot so dirt wouldnt fall out ... and some gravel on top too ... still in this same pot .... in the water garden pots that are full of holes, I'm not so sure I would use soil ... really doesnt matter much, just thinking potential mess.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The garden centre where I work part-time sells watercress in the herb department. They come in 4" pots of soil, and are well rooted. Last year we had some over-grown ones that weren't selling, so I put the pots in a water-plant tank. They took off, and sold well as pond plants.
John

Reaction score
I am soooo jealous Haro. I am always watching the herb racks for interesting looking herbs to plant (in the yard), and have never seen it potted:-(

Ask a Question