Planting Waterlilies

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses on my kitty litter and algae questions!

I’m awaiting the arrival of 3 waterlilies. My questions today are in regard to waterlilies:

1. Should I use plastic containers with holes all over, plastic with no hole, or plastic with 1 bottom hole?

2. Can I plant more than 1 rhizome ((I think with new pads) in a container?

3. What size width, length and Depth should a water lily container be?

4. May I use just clay kitty litter?

5. What kind, amount, shape and brand of fertilizer? How often?

My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep with no shelves. I’m oversubscribed on concrete blocks (large, w/ 2 big cutouts each) to put plants on.

6. How deep can I plant the waterlilies?

Thank you so much for your help!

Rona in Pacific Grove California on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Let me see If I can answer some of your questions. Everybody does things differently but here is what I do-

Plastic container- I would have some type of hole because lifting a pot full of water out of the pond can be heavy! I have some of the mesh plastic pots, I line mine with landscape fabric so the litter stays in.
As yours are new plants, I would just plant one per pot. You may want to label them so you know which is which.
Most lily containers are at least 6" wide , I'm using 8 quart hospital basins. 12"x8"- won't have to repot for a while. As far as depth- 4-5". You want to get the rood in the litter but leave the growing tip up and exposed.
Yes, plain, clay cat litter, not clumping or scented.
Already covered fertilizer question.
As far as depth is concerned, each lily is different. They should have the info when they send plants. If there is just the bare rhizome, you want to have the pot close to the surface, maybe 12", and then lower it as it grows.The concrete blocks are good, just be careful as they can damage your liner if dropped. Don't be afraid to lower a lily that has leaves to a depth where the leaves are under water. They will grow quickly to adapt. I have had mine anywhere from 2-5' deep.

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Thank you so much! Great clear answer! I’ve been reading so much here that I got mixed up.

I mean Oil Dri, not Osmocote. Which is better to use for aquatic plants - Oil Dri or Pretty Litter? Benefits and deficits of each please. Does the Oil Dri smell after awhile like the clay kitty litter?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used both, Oil Dri can be more expensive but seems to hold up well. It does not break down and get slimy or stinky. I am repotting all my lilies this year including 2 100gallon stock tanks plus repotting several lotus and planting the seeds I harvested last year so going with litter. 800 pounds so far and will need at least another 200 pounds!
Our 10x10x5 koi pond is now a 2' deep plant only pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use kitty litter, did put oil dry in my 1000 gallon pond and turned those lilies loose. The ones in my big pond are in walmart oil pans, kitty litter, about 1/4 cup of osmocote tossed under the litter once a year.
Planting, main thing is keep the growing tip up out of the litter.

Ask a Question