plants and koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is 5500 gal. I have about 40 koi and some are very large. The last several years I have tried every spring to put submerged and floating oxygenator plants in but the koi eat them or eat their roots. Last year I tried several ways to make floating islands for plants but they sank. I have a fairly large water fall and two large air stones in there to increase the oxygen because of the fish load. This year I'm thinking I'm not going to even try and put submerged oxygenator. I really love the look of floating water lettuce, parrot feathers and water irises but I end of just wasting a lot of money. They also disturb my lilies. Anyone have any suggestions or tried and true solutions? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I bought black floating nets for water hyacinth, impatience etc. They worked beautifully, until I looked out the window one day and say one of the koi in it. It somehow got in it and couldn't get out. I thought it was a fluke, till it happened a few days later with a different koi. So much for the floating nets.

I drill holes in my lily pans and zip tie deer fencing over them. It works like a charm but is a PITA - LOL !

Reaction score
If you are concerned about fish load and oxygen levels you may want to forego plants. Although some are called oxygenators this is more of a marketing term. Yes, during photosynthesis plants do produce oxygen but the story doesn't end there. Plants also consume oxygen. And then if you add the organic matter they throw off and the oxygen needed to decompose that you can see why professional pond keepers don't put plants into high fish load tanks and ponds.

Not saying you should or shouldn't. Your post just mentioned some concern with fish load and oxygen. I have no idea what your exact situation is exactly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A fine net around pool noodle cages is what I’ll be trying to floating plants this year. The goldfish ate the roots of the floating plants I had last year too. One thing you can do is give the fish plenty of home grown veggies, leafy greens, peas, cucumber chunks, ( mine don’t like the skin though) watermelon, etc.

Ask a Question