Plants around the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Me and my wife went nuts for 2 springs in a row, adding all sorts of perennials to doll up the pond edges. Some have insect problems, so I started searching for a SAFE way to control them.

I read about neem oil. It is supposed to be safe to eat, and non toxic to all animals including fish. Does anyone have any tips for me? I cannot use just any insecticide, as some is bound to get in the pond water with my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Neem oil is one of the very few sprays I will use in my garden, much less around my pond. I know it's generally understood to be of little impact on fish & is considered highly safe to use around water/ponds in general - BUT! I tend to err heavily on the side of caution when it comes to my pond/garden.

I will use it in the garden *near* the pond, when there is no chance it will get 'over-sprayed' & into the pond. I absolutely will NOT (repeat --- N. O. T. !!!!!) use it on any plants that are residing within the boundaries of the pond.

But, that's just me...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can neem oil affect birds, fish, or other wildlife?

Neem oil is practically non-toxic to birds, mammals, bees and plants. Neem oil is slightly toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. Azadirachtin, a component of neem oil, is moderately toxic to fish and other aquatic animals. It is important to remember that insects must eat the treated plant to be killed. Therefore, bees and other pollinators are not likely to be harmed.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/neemgen.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
One thing to think about: those problem insects will attract the very creatures you probably want in and around your pond! (If you are like me, that is!) If it were me, I would just wait a while and see who shows up. Frogs, toads, ladybugs, praying mantises, and dragonflies are just a few of the smaller creatures. Birds will also enjoy snacking on some bugs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Putting my far more experienced gardening hat on rather than my newbie ponder's cap, it's always worthwhile to identify the bugs attacking your plants _before_ trying to treat the problem, and it would also help to know what kind of plants you are talking about and if they are planted in the pond as marginals or just near it in soil. Many insects can be controlled by either rinsing them off with water or wiping them off until the beneficial bugs can increase in numbers enough to get the situation ecologically under control. Purchasing beneficial insects or adding plants that will attract beneficials, or adding soil amendments that make your plants less palatable to certain bugs are also good potential strategies. Neem oil used in certain circumstances can be helpful, but it also can damage plants by burning their foliage so it's not true that it's "totally harmless" and you never want to just mass spray everything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to all for the info. I'm new to the pond stuff, only have a little over a year experience with pond issues. The plants I'm familiar with. I'm sure some will say it's a bad idea to have some of the plants I have, right at the pond edges. I think my worst issue from this, is the dead foliage that drops in the water...and yes I do spend a fair bit of time cleaning dead leaves etc. from the water.

I'm only concerned about the rose plants, which are within a foot of the pond. Some branches are hanging over the water. I think I'll try my best to just let nature take the wheel on the bugs issues. So far, that's how I've dealt with the pond. I dont want to repel anything but June bugs, which made a real mess of the roses last summer, and I'm just thinking ahead for this summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thanks to all for the info. I'm new to the pond stuff, only have a little over a year experience with pond issues. The plants I'm familiar with. I'm sure some will say it's a bad idea to have some of the plants I have, right at the pond edges. I think my worst issue from this, is the dead foliage that drops in the water...and yes I do spend a fair bit of time cleaning dead leaves etc. from the water.

I'm only concerned about the rose plants, which are within a foot of the pond. Some branches are hanging over the water. I think I'll try my best to just let nature take the wheel on the bugs issues. So far, that's how I've dealt with the pond. I dont want to repel anything but June bugs, which made a real mess of the roses last summer, and I'm just thinking ahead for this summer.

If the issue is aphids on roses, there is always an aphid explosion on roses in the spring. Blasting them with water from a hose (so the spray is landing outside of the pond rather than in the pond, assuming your hose water is chlorine treated) will take most of them off and then you'll want to be on the lookout for ladybug larvae and ladybugs who will help keep the aphids down once they catch up in their reproduction numbers. Fennel is a super attractor for lady bugs so if you like the look and/or taste of fennel, it's always handy to have some nearby. If the issue is white flies, working worm castings into the soil will dramatically reduce the number of white flies, but it takes a couple months to really take effect so just hose those off in the meantime as well.

Also, with standard roses, if thats what you have, you probably already know to prune them back to just a few canes around the start of each year so that the new growth is strong and healthy. Unpruned roses over several years tend to form messy briars with small flowers on weak stems and dense bushes are especially at risk for bad powdery mildew outbreaks. It all depends on the look you are going for how much you prune them but if the goal is smaller, rounder, symmetrical bushes with bigger flowers you can't skip the pruning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the issue is aphids on roses, there is always an aphid explosion on roses in the spring. Blasting them with water from a hose (so the spray is landing outside of the pond rather than in the pond, assuming your hose water is chlorine treated) will take most of them off and then you'll want to be on the lookout for ladybug larvae and ladybugs who will help keep the aphids down once they catch up in their reproduction numbers. Fennel is a super attractor for lady bugs so if you like the look and/or taste of fennel, it's always handy to have some nearby. If the issue is white flies, working worm castings into the soil will dramatically reduce the number of white flies, but it takes a couple months to really take effect so just hose those off in the meantime as well.

Also, with standard roses, if thats what you have, you probably already know to prune them back to just a few canes around the start of each year so that the new growth is strong and healthy. Unpruned roses over several years tend to form messy briars with small flowers on weak stems and dense bushes are especially at risk for bad powdery mildew outbreaks. It all depends on the look you are going for how much you prune them but if the goal is smaller, rounder, symmetrical bushes with bigger flowers you can't skip the pruning.

That is very interesting. I'll be growing some fennel right away!

I do prune some of the Rose's, but not for shape. We like the Rose's to take the natural shapes. This spring here in Missouri hit us with a big curveballs. By mid April we had already had several really warm days. This made all our perennials start up. This was followed by a few freezes( not just frost, actual freezes) as well as a couple inches of snow. All our Rose's were producing new growth. Most of which died during the harsh weather. They are coming back, but they definitely show the signs of strain. This is my main reason for the pest worries.

Thanks again for the info. If there is a natural method to control anything around and in my pond, that is how I'll do it.

Reaction score
In addition to some of the good recommendations try googling "bug repellent plants" in your area and that are safe for ponds. Depending on which bugs your trying to avoid, pick from there ... some should come up and may be helpful to plant those!

I have CITRONELLA and PEPPERMINT planted around as a repellent and it works really really well - also loves to grow in pond and Koi love the peppermint. Lavender too but not sure it works as well as Citronella. We have insects/mosquitos/nats like crazy and it does a good job. I also will burn some citronella candles nearby safely but never leave unattended (usually just when im doing work or enjoying pond).

---- I've heard of people filling a spray bottle and adding citronella oil (its safe for koi but don't go dousing your entire pond with it which I'm sure you wouldn't anyways ;)) ----

Planting with barley too

Just for plants/ground NOT for pond (although I'd double check if safe for koi, you never know):
lemon eucalyptus oil
eucalyptus oil
tea tree

white vinegar in a spray bottle
cedarwood

Chalk (more so for ground pests) could be placed around as long as it doesn't get into the pond

Good luck! Bet the pond and plants look beautiful

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I buy the neem oil in concentrate form so I can dilute it as I please. I’ve used it for aphids going to town on my milkweed and camas. The thing is you can’t just spray it once and be done. Gotta do it 2-3 times a day for several days in a row.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to some of the good recommendations try googling "bug repellent plants" in your area and that are safe for ponds. Depending on which bugs your trying to avoid, pick from there ... some should come up and may be helpful to plant those!

I have CITRONELLA and PEPPERMINT planted around as a repellent and it works really really well - also loves to grow in pond and Koi love the peppermint. Lavender too but not sure it works as well as Citronella. We have insects/mosquitos/nats like crazy and it does a good job. I also will burn some citronella candles nearby safely but never leave unattended (usually just when im doing work or enjoying pond).

---- I've heard of people filling a spray bottle and adding citronella oil (its safe for koi but don't go dousing your entire pond with it which I'm sure you wouldn't anyways ;)) ----

Planting with barley too

Just for plants/ground NOT for pond (although I'd double check if safe for koi, you never know):
lemon eucalyptus oil
eucalyptus oil
tea tree

white vinegar in a spray bottle
cedarwood

Chalk (more so for ground pests) could be placed around as long as it doesn't get into the pond

Good luck! Bet the pond and plants look beautiful

Awesome info....my wife will love the excuse to add more plants!! Great info again, I thank you all!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Just for reassurance - the small amount of hose water that this would add to your pond wouldn't cause any issues.
true - I have a teensy pond and a very powerful hose, so probably only an issue for me and no one else ;)

Ask a Question