Plants dying

Reaction score
I have had my pond up and running for about 4 months, we have koi, gold fish, blue orfe etc..

The problem we are having is that all the plants are dying below the water level !, they are fine above the water level.

The plants are parrots feather etc.

The water in the pond is not clear, it is green but has no floating algae, we have a good filter system a waterfall and fountain.

does anyone have any ideas, or is this normal

thanks
Colin

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have not had Parrots Feather for very long, but mine are doing the same. I think this is normal.

BTW, floating algae generally occurs when the water reaches a certain temperature, as it cools, the algae sinks back down.

Reaction score
With parrots feather the old growth will die if placed below the surface, the tiny leaves breath air like a tree or flower. If the leaf cannot breath it will turn yellow & die. All growth above the water will stay green. MAke sure pond plant foliage stays dry, I know some people who let waterfalls or fountains splash on their plants thinking "water plants like water". Well they dont like water on their leaves because it causes the foliage to rot and die. Water plants only like water around the roots with the exception of oxygenating submerged plants. Even water lilies need dry pads. See pondmegastore.com planting instructions for more detail.

Ask a Question