Plants for a small tub pond

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I was thinking of giving up on water gardening because I could not (safely) have anything larger than a 15-20 gallon pot pond on my back porch...however, I will be growing vegetables this spring, summer, and fall under a pop up greenhouse and need a heat sink to keep things reasonably stable. And there aren't many common materials that work better for that than liquid water :)

My idea is to have this 22 inch in diameter, roughly 18 inch high pot in a 70 inch long, 3 feet wide, 3 feet tall greenhouse to serve as a heatsink for the vegetables also growing within the greenhouse. As it would make little sense to just have an empty pot of water, what are some pond plants that would do well in such a setting? Thanks :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Azolla and water lettuce do well in my similar sized container ponds I use for the local tree frogs.
Good to know :) anything with a waterlily-like growth habit do well in such a container? Failing that, other plants with impressive blooms?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These grow great, have heart shaped leaves and bloom a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphoides_peltata ....................not my picture
flowr.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here is a picture from my hottub pond with them growing.
20190814_112442.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Quite pretty! Sadly, Floating heart (N. peltata) is a banned noxious weed in my state. Would any other water snowflakes work?
Well if it is in a tiny pond they won't spread. Bummer. OW I would send you some

The white snowflake is a tropical. You could try and save it over winter, i.e. inside.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well if it is in a tiny pond they won't spread. Bummer. OW I would send you some

The white snowflake is a tropical. You could try and save it over winter, i.e. inside.
I'm willing to try that...I was already considering trying to grow a bonsai tropical water lily inside.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I came up with a few other possible water lily replacements...how do these sound?
-Marsilea mutica
-Aponogeton distachyos

Ask a Question