Plants for my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you're worried about the temperature, there's no way we can answer that question without knowing your climate or better yet, the temperature of your water.
You might live in Antarctica or maybe the Mojave desert. No way for us to know. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you're worried about the temperature, there's no way we can answer that question without knowing your climate or better yet, the temperature of your water.
You might live in Antarctica or maybe the Mojave desert. No way for us to know. ;)

well, we actually DO know but management would put us in a corner for a timeout, and we boggers aren't the type to just sit and b*tch! Heh, we likes ta do it whle dancin' all around ya!

okay, I think I need to adjust my meds... :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
well, we actually DO know but management would put us in a corner for a timeout, and we boggers aren't the type to just sit and b*tch! Heh, we likes ta do it whle dancin' all around ya!

You can dance, you can dance, you can dance if you want to... you can dance all night and day...

whew!?!? we must have the same prescribing doctor! o_O

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
boy you two need new meds! lol

@Three Ducks in a Pond it all depends on the water temperature and at what temperature the plants can handle.

Duckweed 50-90
Frogbit 64-84

Can they survive higher or lower, no clue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Atlanta you didn't tell them about tge chicken blood and all while dancing neked

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in zone 6b, northeastern part of Pennsylvania.
I've had water hyacinths, water lettuce, fairy moss and parrots feather in my pond and bog for a week now. They are all tropicals and look fine.

The Marsh Marigold is blooming like crazy. It has also spread itself, popping up all over in the pond and bog.

I haven't checked the water temperature in a couple weeks, sorry I can't give you that information.
The lowest air temperature in the past two weeks has been around 34-37 F, but daytime highs are averaging 55-60 F.
Knowing the water temperature is more important than the air temperature.
I know for sure my water is way warmer than the air right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
okay, serioiusly, I don't think you need to worry; once you put it in, it'll be eaten by your fish well before the temps can kill it...

And just for evidence's sake... I brought up my turtles the last weekend (when we still had summer) and I had to net out all the duckweed in my winter turtle pool just to catch them. I dumped it all in the pond. The first 2 pics is the day of. The third pic is 4 days later (today);

210502 -duckweed on pond 2.jpg
210502 -duckweed on pond 1.jpg
210507 patiocam.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
okay, serioiusly, I don't think you need to worry; once you put it in, it'll be eaten by your fish well before the temps can kill it...

And just for evidence's sake... I brought up my turtles the last weekend (when we still had summer) and I had to net out all the duckweed in my winter turtle pool just to catch them. I dumped it all in the pond. The first 2 pics is the day of. The third pic is 4 days later (today);

View attachment 138802View attachment 138803View attachment 138804

Looking good, definitely pays off covering the pond like you do for the winter. Like that log/tree going into the pond too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For a in your home pond it's second to none. It realy looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking good, definitely pays off covering the pond like you do for the winter. Like that log/tree going into the pond too.
thanks, jhn; a bit bare now on the right as I severly cut back the redbud last fall (trying to bonsai it). But, it's getting there. I think the warmer earlier weather triggered a sooner-than-usual plant flush, too. That log/tree is from a customer of mine that let it die at the back of his yard; I re-purposed it! Has some nice dead roots at the stump end and I use this 'log' to lean out over the pond and clean the underwater cam, as it's right beneath.

Thanks for the looksee!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For a in your home pond it's second to none. It realy looks great.

Thanks, GB; there's a lot of advantages to screening it all in, for sure, but it's not like I don't drool over the other ponds here that are wide open. I do admit, if I hadn't gone this route, I fear LPS would have me going in your direction as I really like the natural scene you've set up. I didn't have room for any kind of stream and it would have been a great addition of flowing water and more small waterfall drops. Can't have everything, I suppose!

Thanks for the compliment!

Ask a Question