plants for pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am pretty new to pond life having aquired this pond with the house i bought. i have a pond of about 14 feet with koi and goldfish in it but no plants.someone said i need plants.can someone please advise me if this is correct and if so what type of plants to introduce. thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes you definitely need plants as they are part of the natural balance of a pond. I am definitely not an expert though but if you Google how plants help garden ponds, there are some explanations.

Now the list of plants can be long. What zone are you located in and what State? This will help determine what will thrive or die where you are located, i.e. tropical vs hardy plants. Also some States classify certain plants as invasive. Do you have more details of your pond setup such as filtration, waterfalls or not? Softliner I am assuming based on size. Are there any shelves built into the pond to hold plants?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Canada would mean that you are colder and colleen on here from Canada can really give you a great list

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water hyacinth are great and not too expensive. If you're lucky they'll spread like wildfire and give you fish something to munch on as well as provide shade and cover for them from the sun. I've had good luck with grasses and iris also. I've had ponds in upstate NY as well as the mountains of NC so conditions may be similar to yours. Good luck!

Ask a Question