Plants for shallow pond

Reaction score
So I have a pond thats oval shape and is 6x7 ft and is mostly (90%) 8 or so inches. The deepest part is 12-14 inches. What i want to know is a selection of plants that could go in it. Im particularly interested in hardy water lilies. If you know the name of a dwarf lily, let me know the exact name, scientific and all, and I would prefer if it was white or yellow. Also, if you could tell me how to overwinter seed pods from submerged plants inside, like the spiny fruit from a hornwort, that would be awesome.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
An expert on here on lilies is adavisus and he seems to know alot about the and I'm sure he will be a big help .There are other on here that have a lot of different kinds of lilies and I'm sure they know more about them than I do .I have 4 of them but they were given to me and all I know is that they grow and get flowers and my koi don't destroy them .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think hardy water lilies will grow in shallow water 12" - 14". Mine are planted in a pots right now sitting down about 18" on a shelf. You can choose from so many colors. I like the Parrots feather plant to use either in pots or just free floating on the water. You can tuck it in-between rocks around the edge as long as the roots stay in the water. Also Creeping Jenny is nice to plant right around the edge of the pond in the soil or tucked in the rocks so it creeps across the water. I have some Water Hawthorne that I also like that blooms when the weather is cooler w/ little fragrant flowers. Primrose creeper sprawls across the water also. 4 Leaf clover you could keep in a pot at that shallow depth I think. Lot's more idea's may pop up from other ponderer's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Without looking at the historical climate data I couldn't speculate what will cope with a shallow pond at that location through Winter. Miniature hardy lilies Helvola, Laydekeri Lilacea and tetragona might thrive when waters are warmer than 50f through Summer. There are several other miniatures not known to the 'trade' though you may have trouble finding those in Canada ;)

Nymphoides peltata is a pretty lily like plant though scolded as an invasive by some. Cold tolerant aquatics like Water hawthorn would need cool frost free storage in Winter

water_hawthorn_feb.jpg

Hornworts submerse flowers are so insignificant I have no idea how you could colllect seed from it if you can't even find them, compared to keeping a few plants going indoors over Winter, same goes for many of the cold tolerant submerse aquatics. While some aquarium type books describe such intriguing things how realistic they are to 'collect' and store might require a lot of optimisim

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the flower in the pic is that the water hawthorn ,even though it may be invasive that is a really pretty flower it has .I really like that flower shape but I think the middle of it is the most impressive part of it .Where or how can you find that plant and will it hold up under the heat of summer here in VA or would I not get as nice a flower .How big also is the flower .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ah, water hawthorn is an aquatic plant which is a bit different... In optimal conditions the quite fragrant blooms can be 6" in size but usually more like 1-2". It likes the in between weather of Spring and Autumn, going dormant through the heat of Summer. Right now its the only bloom here on the ponds in a mild winter, in February given a Winter with few hard freezes snipping its surface foliage

In a mild Northerly latitude in 50's 60's waters it can bloom through Summer, for example in England.

I couldn't say its invasive from the pov of vegetatively romping about, it grows from a tuber which is very easy to control just like a tropical waterlily, buuut it can drop a couple of dozen seed which can amble about and start up. Not exactly tricky to find or to flip out...

It's a little bit tricky to cultivate as far South as NC as Summers definitely wham it dormant with 70's waters and Winter usually whams in quicker than seeds get the chance to form, this mild early Spring might be different if hard freezes don't snip it's enthusiastic growth in 40's and 50's waters

A cool shady deep position will see it grow to the max in conditions it likes

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• water_hawthorn550.jpg
    water_hawthorn550.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 363

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine was blooming in the fall, still growing well at this point, just saw some buds coming up. The pretend winter we have had has not really bothered the plant, we have had some cold.

Reaction score
So from what Im getting here, it is possible to gather hornwort seed pods and winter them, but not worth the trouble, and that hardy water lilies, at least dwarf ones, will do well?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your pond does not freeze solid and you can get your plants down to a level the tubers do not freeze they will do ok.

"
Hornwort is one of the top oxygenating plants. It is tolerant of a broad range of conditions. In the fall the compact tips break off the hornwort and lie dormant for the winter.
The coontail has been known to release certain chemicals that naturally prevent some forms of pond algae growth, making it a prime addition to the garden pond."

The seed pods are part of the water hawthorn

"The real value in the water hawthorn is its growth cycle. This plant thrives in cool weather and goes completely dormant in the hot summer months. Water hawthorn will show off its small, white, vanilla scented flowers in late winter or early spring, take a rest during summer, and then pick up where it left off in the fall and bloom until the pond freezes over. It is a great companion for water lilies since they perform best during warm weather.
Water hawthorn is very easy to care for. Plant the bulbs an inch or so deep in heavy clay top soil. Fertilize monthly when in active growth. Once the plant begins to slow down as the weather gets warmer, stop fertilizing until you see new growth in the fall.
Water hawthorn is a prolific seeder and you may find baby plants springing up in your other water plants.
It is a good idea to make sure your pots are well labeled so you don’t accidentally mistake a dormant water hawthorn for a dead plant and throw it out!
Water hawthorn will tolerate slowly moving water.
Winter Care: Winterize water hawthorn the same as you would a hardy water lily. Once the plant is killed by frost, drop the pot to the deepest part of the pond so the tubers do not freeze."

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great info addy have now added them to my list of plants to look for come spring

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hawthorn, jw found on the net. I have not seen it here, but have not really looked for it

Reaction score
Alright thanks for clearing things up you guys. Wanted to know now because before you know it, pond season will be just around the corner, so I have started planning. Thanks.

Ask a Question