Plants in my Bio Filter

Reaction score
When I built my pond I made a bio-filter because that seemed to be what everyone was doing on You tube for filtering their ponds. So I made a bio filter for my pond. Still to new to see if it is working or not but time will tell.

Shortly after I made my bio filter I came across something on you tube called a bog. After some reading it really seems that is the way to go. Not just for filtering but for plants to.

Well this evening I took several clippings from my impatiens and vinca and put them into my bio filter. My bio filter is filled to the top with different types of media so my plants are not just floating in the water. They are planted into the media so to speak. I'm hoping the roots from these plants do help with the overall water clarity.

I don't know if Vinca are but I saw Impatiens is on a list of plants you can use in a bog. I know the root like crazy so thats what I am anticipating.

I'm thinking it is kind of like a small bog.

Just looking for some other thoughts on this.

Regards,
Jack

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea, there are a lot of plants that will do fine in water. I keep trying them out until something works. My day lilies are growing better in the bog than on land. I need to take some out next spring.

I only filter with a bog, a big one, but just plants and pea gravel, it does great for me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
water hyacinths and lettuce are fantastic in ther top,of a filter...long fiberous roots to collect fines, they reproduce quickly and are quite efficient at removing nutrients from the water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fairy moss works good because the roots are smaller and don't break off and get stuck in the pump .I use some grasses also .Like strawberries and cream.I put the grasses in dollar store open baskets to allow the water to flow through them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Vinca are ground cover and they are a perennial. I have ones that have small purple flowers. There are several newer varieties that look something like impatients. You can easily tell the difference by their leaves. I think they might do okay in a bog. They will spread out a lot in time so if your bog is small they might squeeze out other plants.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just for the heck of it heres a pic of my filter full of hyacinths...
SANY0847.jpg

because i cut the top of the picture off, you cant really tell how tall these are, they were about 2' tall in the picture. and some grew outside the filter hanging in the air.

Reaction score
Country
United States
just for the heck of it heres a pic of my filter full of hyacinths...
SANY0847.jpg

because i cut the top of the picture off, you cant really tell how tall these are, they were about 2' tall in the picture. and some grew outside the filter hanging in the air.

That's what I do. As the hyacinths get crowded, they get HUGE - like a giant bush! They are a mess to pull out in the fall (I live in Michigan), so I'm trying to come up with something else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
First of all - The Pond Hunter is (or was) a member of the forum? I've enjoyed his YouTube videos over the years!

Secondly... why does 2012 feel like a lifetime ago?

And thirdly - welcome to the GPF @buggydriver ! We'd love to hear more about your pond!

Ask a Question