Plants inside for winter?

adam9280

This is where the fish lives.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a small pond and thinking about putting a kiddie pool in the basement during the Michigan Winter to keep the water lilies happy. I would run one of these "grow" lights as many hours as needed. I could also hook up the pump to move the water around to keep it fresh unless there's a better way. I wintered them in my basement this year in moist bags with all the roots/pads cut off and was hoping to be able to bring them out in the Spring ready to go. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Preformed pond is 18" deep.

Last edited:

adam9280

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Should have included that the pond is a preformed 18" deep.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a small water lily indoors this year with a fluorescent shop light over it. It survived just fine and is in my pond growing right now. Some of my pond plants didn't make it over winter indoors though.

adam9280

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had a small water lily indoors this year with a fluorescent shop light over it. It survived just fine and is in my pond growing right now. Some of my pond plants didn't make it over winter indoors though.
Ok, thanks. I'll only be doing the lilies so I should be ok.

Ask a Question