Plants keep dying

Reaction score
My pond is in direct sunlight from sunrise to about 6pm. Some people have the problem where their plants are taking over but, I have the complete opposite. I cannot get my plants to last more than a few weeks. On water hyacinths the leaves turn brown and the plant dies. Is this due to the plants being in the sun all day?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine pond is in sun from the time it comes up until it sets. So far the plants are doing great.

How old is your pond? my hyacinths took a while to get going, I didn't have much of a fish load, but now the fry have grown, the plants are doing better.

The hyacinths like to be in a tight group, they grow better, I roped mine together.

Reaction score
Mine pond is in sun from the time it comes up until it sets. So far the plants are doing great.

How old is your pond? my hyacinths took a while to get going, I didn't have much of a fish load, but now the fry have grown, the plants are doing better.

The hyacinths like to be in a tight group, they grow better, I roped mine together.

the pond is 2 years old, ill try bunching them together. also i have a total of 9 fish in a 1500 gallon pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that sounds like they should do ok, I know when some of mine escaped, they were no where as nice as the ones tied together.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
are you literally tying them together and letting them float as a bunch?

I bought a floating rope and made a ring, made the ring as wide as needed to contain the hyacinths I had. I had to increase it in size a few times. did not tie the hyacinths, sorry, just stuck them together in a rope ring, anchored to one spot in the pond so I can move them around if I want to.

She is using the net to protect the roots from the fish, I have goldfish and shubunkins, they have not bothered the plants at all

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All my hyacinths and water lettuce that are bunched together are doing better than the ones left on their own in the pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hyacinths and water lettuce for some reason do a lot better when grouped closely together as Addy is showing and the Utube video showed. If you have Koi you must protect the roots as that is where the nutrients are absorbed and koi think the roots are delicious. The bog garden is a great place to grow plants and protect them from hungry mouths, but also check out the DYI section for plant ring ideas. Addy uses the floating rope but other use different house hold things that will work too. and if you have koi then there is even a version that koiguy and other members use that has netting underneath that protect the roots and give a nice hiding spot for fry to hide in and be protected.
Salt needs to be less the .1% for most floating plants. Be sure and try marginal plants too, taro's, Pickerel rush, Iris's etc. These do fantastic for nutrient removal and are usually tougher for the fish to mess with.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My large pond hyacinths just started blooming, the ones in the center of the bunch dark green and tall, the ones on the edge yellowish and whimpy.

these are in a little pond, stuffed in

DSC02173.JPG

These are in the big pond, dark green tall in the center, whimpy on the edges.

DSC02174.JPG

Ask a Question