Plants over winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Each spring I buy new Hyacinth and water lettuce for my small ponds. Nothing fancy, some of the koi 3 years old now. Can one bring the plants in a system inside and keep them thriving over winter? My fish I bring in the garage and keep them in 100 gal tanks at 60 degrees. Any way to save the plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What part of the country are you from? Some people successfully overwinter floating plants in kiddie pools or aquariums. They need warm water and a good deal of sunlight - real or artificial.

To me, though, it isn't worth the effort - they are relatively inexpensive to replace in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
We tried that one year, we brought in all of the tropical floaters, water lettuce an and hyacinth and one tropical water lilly put them in an unused bathtub, then we put 3 sets of dual tube fluorescent light on the ledge at the top of the shower enclosure. It worked fine and was fun, but in reality the electricity to keep them alive over the winter probably exceeded their cost In hind sight, they probably would have done even better if we had added a dose of Miracle Grow to the water too.

Now-a-days, with the massive growth in hydroponics, there is more equipment available commercially and a lot of DIY info on how to grow things indoors more economically, you could not only keep your aquatics over the winter, you could have fresh vegetables too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep mine in the basement and have the led grow light on for 4 hours a night and they do great .I can pull them out early under the front porch and now people around here come to me for there free plants .They multiplied so much last winter that I had to fill another tank and 2 totes

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah for $10 i can get a bunch of hyacinths of good quality in spring.
Obtaining WH depends on where you live -- here in LA they are on the no-no list. I can't mail order them, and they're not supposed to be for sale, but there is a nursery here that will sell them, thank goodness. Last "winter" I lucked out because it was very mild and all of the WH I had in the QT survived and flourished! First time that's ever happened, and it wasn't deliberate on my part -- I forgot about them. So, hoping for a repeat as I don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of over-wintering them. Faebinder, if mine all die back, you'll have to ship me a few of yours in the spring :)

Ask a Question