Plants that eat more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
As to the question of "plenty of plants" I have that covered. But I don't think they are the proper plants.
I have varegated celery, some sort of grass, Iris, Chameleon plant, and some sort of bog lily, along with myriad plants that I dug up at the spring. While they are prolific growers, they don't eat much. As shown by the amount of string algae hanging around. I need something that eats what the string eats, only eats more of it. Don't get me wrong, water is crystal clear, but the string/carpet is thriving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a snorkel pump air into it but don't put the air into rising in the stone just the tube.

I would try watercress grows like mad very easy to remove roots are like the thickest hair dog you have ever seen but still simple to prune .

From the picture I saw that you posted I believe I saw a lot of exposed bog . Was I mistaken ?

I just replanted a brand new bog never waited for the spring string to get wiped out I preferred to beat the heat for myself . The second pic is the small peastone bog way undersized for 30 koi up to 24 inches. That's been the lifeguard while matrix bog was rebuilt and replanted. Yes the taro doesn't like low
20220516_195150.jpg
40 degree nights
20220516_195133.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A variety of plants is your best answer - which you have. Patience is the next key element. Spring is a big time for the string algae as it gets a head start on the other plants. Pull it out by hand to control it until nature gets her feet on the ground.

HOWEVER first thing I'd do it IXNAY the chameleon plant. I've literally never dealt with a more invasive plant in my life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Patience, as others have said.

For me, as long as the water is clear, I don't mind seeing string algae, moss and biofilm all over everything.
I truly believe they all play a role in the pond's natural filtration.

The string algae isn't hurting anything, unless it's terribly clogging things up. It's a plant and it's nature's way of filtering.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with what has been said patience. Water celery, water cress, forgetmenots, creeping jenny, grow like wildfire for me and those alone could keep my pond balanced. Some can take abit to really get going, for Me the above mentioned ones took off quickly and are everywhere around my pond now. Get zero string algae, green water, etc. in the spring and My pond is heavily stocked with fish and turtles, have a ton of other plants in the pond and bogs too, but the above mentioned ones are the ones I have to yank out wheel barrel full.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am happy with the American Frogbit I’ve recently added to my little pond. It’s spreading nicely, is a good surface cover, and the fish don’t eat it. If I get too much of it, it will be easy to remove for composting. It wasn’t easy to find though, as the South American version is much more common.

Ask a Question