Country
United States
IMG_6897.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This was an experiment in early June..... This is a regular garden lilies that my wife and I got from her Aunt Lena 38 years ago when we bought our first house.... So I took a peice of it and put it in a basket bare root, a peice that the root ball was about the size of my fist, needless to say she bloomed and has grown beyond my imagination, going to put Lena back in the ground before winter and pull her back out next spring in the pond, also going to try some other perenials that we have next spring, never know until you try

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Is that a type of Liriope?
If so, I grow it in my tortoise enclosure and it's VERY hardy.

Attachments

• 20170201_153702.jpg
    20170201_153702.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love this @Jimmy Gibson ! You're right - you never know! Gardening is all about experimenting and learning as you go.
This particular Lily we have in five different places in our garden..... And all of them were spectacular this year..... But you look at the ones that are in the ground and the one that is in the pond, the one in the pond looks like springtime and the other look like I am ready for fall..... Not from lack of water, we have watered and we have had an extremely wet summer...... The ones in the pond are enjoying the "Fish Poop" lol Jimmy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate lilies lately the clumps get so big they choke everything out .I took a one or 2 out of different ponds and pulled the liners out with the lily .Had to use my truck to pull them out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hate lilies lately the clumps get so big they choke everything out .I took a one or 2 out of different ponds and pulled the liners out with the lily .Had to use my truck to pull them out
Although I have water lilies also, what I was talking about is terrestrial garden lilies that I am growing in the water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is what I was talking about also I planted 2 tubers 3 years ago and now have a clump 5 feet around .I also have water lilies .I have thinned them out in my yard but they just get bigger when I thin them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is what I was talking about also I planted 2 tubers 3 years ago and now have a clump 5 feet around .I also have water lilies .I have thinned them out in my yard but they just get bigger when I thin them
Wow. Didn't know they would do that..... Glad I know, Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But you look at the ones that are in the ground and the one that is in the pond, the one in the pond looks like springtime and the other look like I am ready for fall

All of the lilies in my gardens look ready to be done with summer - they've had plenty of rain, but we are having cool nights so I think they are of the opinion winter is right around the corner. I pray that isn't the case! Oddly though we noticed to day that our crabapple is blooming for a second time - THAT'S never happened before!
IMG_2876.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We finally had a cool night and it is only 70 this morning .Now that they say this extreme heat we have been having ill leave for awhile .It has been a really strange 2 years of weird weather ..I pulled up lilies took out 30 clumps of them and gave them to the guy down the road for on his hill to stabilize it ..He thought IU was only going to give him a few plant tubers from them .jokes on him .Told him they are all different colors . .Next he will get iris plants .I think that will help his hill .

Ask a Question