Plants to filter drain water to pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
Trying to help my neighbor a bit. They have a beautiful pond that we get to enjoy a view of as well. Water from our yard and other neighbors yards drains into the pond. There is a large wet area in my yard prior to reaching the pond.. I believe there is a spring underground as well that feeds in. I don't fertilize my yard but some neighbors up the road do. What I'd like to do is find some plants to put in the wet area of my yard that will replace the grass, do well in wet soil, not infest the pond and maybe even filter some of the drain water going in. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you located? A common water loving plant easy to get is iris, it will slowly spread, via its rhizomes, but can be kept in check by cutting them back when they spread too far.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601574755695.gif
@cfrench003
Sedges work great to suck up water and nutrients.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome? It sounds lovely!

Where do you live? How large of an area are you talking about? Is it marshy and wet all the time? Is the neighbor’s pond a natural pond or is it lined?

If you could provide pics of this area (your yard and the neighbor’s yard and pond) might be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome? It sounds lovely!

Where do you live? How large of an area are you talking about? Is it marshy and wet all the time? Is the neighbor’s pond a natural pond or is it lined?

If you could provide pics of this area (your yard and the neighbor’s yard and pond) might be helpful.
We’re in western NY near Rochester The pond is natural as far as I know and been there since the 70’s minimum. Right now the area is dry. Which is uncommon but things have been really dry here. It’s so wet in the spring until July the grass will get knee high before I can get the mower in there.

Attachments

• F35BD582-EC79-4684-A1CF-EA997DE1FAE4.jpeg
    F35BD582-EC79-4684-A1CF-EA997DE1FAE4.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 85

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmmm, I’m trying to recall a plant that I had that actually got loose in the yard. It was invasive, but it was low-growing. I would think not something too tall, or it could obstruct the view. Agree that sedges and irises may work, but look at your plant zone if you try for something that you want to be winter-hardy. Also, look into “rain garden” plants. Those are usually chosen for their tameness and ability to tolerate dry spells as well as wet spells.

Let us know how it works out!

Ask a Question