Plants to grow between waterfall rocks..Help Please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi to everyone...I live in NJ and almost complete with the building of my pond. I was looking for types of vegetation that will grow well in the crevices of the rocks that make up the waterfall. The crevices obviously go straight down from the rock to the liner without any soil. Any suggestions on what will grow and also how to plant specifically. Thanks in advance

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I don't have any but parrots feather might work if I understand what you are describing. It doesn't really have roots, it just lives in the water, and I think people like to shove it between the rocks in their ponds. I think it can grow rather wild though and might have to be cut back eventually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have our waterfall planted with several kinds of plants - creeping Jenny, stonecrop, and some miniature evergreens planted between the rocks that are not in the path of the actual waterfall. In the actual water, we have watercress growing over the rocks - it loves the running water and grows like CRAZY!

Obviously anything you plant between the rocks will need soil to put down roots. We pack as much soil as we can between the rocks and then wedge the plant in. If necessary I will wedge small rocks between the rocks beneath the plant to hold it in place until it takes root.

Reaction score
If the rock crevices are close enough to the water flow you can just wedge some plants in there with rocks so the roots stay wet, you won't need soil. Here is a picture of impatients growing by the edge of my waterfall. All I did was buy them in six packs, wash the soil off the roots and tuck the roots in the crack close enough to the flow of water so they would stay wet.
There is also some watercress near the bottom right.
full

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have any but parrots feather might work if I understand what you are describing. It doesn't really have roots, it just lives in the water, and I think people like to shove it between the rocks in their ponds. I think it can grow rather wild though and might have to be cut back eventually.
Actually, parrots feather does have roots. I anchor mine in between rocks and the roots can form a big mass which helps hold it in place.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jersey_Marine
Parrots Feather will work and Creeping Jenny too. I'd try those just stuck in water between rocks. I have some Sedum's that sprawl that have adjusted to between the rocks also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since this pic was taken the exposed liner underneath the rocks of the perimeter has been covered with burlap and painted with a moss and buttermilk solution with the hopes of moss growing to make a more natural look

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, we need to talk them into using a bog filter! Very nice water fall. One of my favorite plants to use in crevices are Taro's. I have a collection of about 8-9 different types and always looking for new ones. Also, don't overlook natives to your area. They are always a sure fire grower for your pond if they can survive in the wild. Be sure and really clean and keep separate for a while to make sure any bugs and such are not introduced to your pond.
DSC06555.JPG
DSC06513.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Different mint plants will also grow in and among the rocks, and will also reach into the water. Mint sends out runners which will grow as new plants where ever they can set their roots down. Mine has filled in the back side of my main pond nicely and is growing into the rocks. If it grows where you don't want it, just yank out the offending runner and cut the stem with a pair of scissors.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can see this years mint growth to the right of my water fall. I thought I had it all out this last fall. Guess I didn't! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm experimenting with Hostas in my waterfall. Plunked some divisions I received from a neighbor on the side of my waterfall stones and anchored them with a rock. They've been flourishing all summer (the one actually IN the bog looks much better than the ones in my lower falls, but I suspect they are getting cooked as it's a sunnier area).

Haven't really thought about what I'm going to do with them come fall. i will probably stick them in the ground somewhere in hopes they survive the winter >.<

LOVE your waterfall, btw! Beautiful!

Ask a Question