Plants to use in Zone B

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi
Anyone recommend some plants I can plant in the gravel around my pond that will come back each year? I'm in Zone 7B. I have a couple of reeds that are beginning to grow again but still waiting on some others to show some life. I'm thinking they are goners and not coming back. Saw two Lillie's starting to sprout new leaves about a foot below. I had some Parrott feathers that did great and I thought they were more tropical and was going to remove them but some people said they would come back but I'm thinking they were not as tough as I hoped. I don't remember the names of another plant that has not shown any life yet. Do you think they should be making a comeback by now? Should I give it some more time or pull the plug? Any suggestions to what I can plant directly into the gravel in about a foot of water that will be safe for the liner and come back every year?
Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any bog type plants rated for below your temp zone will come back.
I have parrots feather I left in my hot tub pond, it got a good layer of ice and the stuff is coming back nicely.

bog bean, marsh betony, obedient plant, water willow, mint, lirope, water blue forgetmenot, iris, lizard tail. Check the web sites that sell pond, marginal plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I really like my water celery! It has delicate, variegated leaves and grows in low mounds. It spreads out into the water and over the edges into the soil to naturalize the look. I'm also in 7B and we got down to 18 one night over the winter. It doesn't seem to totally die off at all. It looks a little puny in the winter but doesn't totally disappear (at least here, anyway.). I have it in fabric planting pots. The shelf is a foot down, but I have it planted so the crown is an inch or so below the water. Water level rises and lowers with rains and dry weather -- it always seems pretty happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I read the tags about the water level and they say the zone but don't say if they die in the winter or will survive. Thanks for the water celery recommendation. Ill look for some. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they say the zone but don't say if they die in the winter or will survive.
Mine all die back, but all come back in the spring. If they survive at a zone lower than yours, they will survive in your zone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The zone does indicate hardiness @SEKCOBRA . If something is hardy in 5B, that means it can survive the winter. Now that doesn't mean it WILL, but generally once things get established they'll come back year after year.

Are these plants in the gravel IN the pond or outside of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi bogsmom
This how much I know about plants. lol I looked up water celery and thought it looked familiar. I planted that in the gravel in my stream bed last year. It took off and looked great. Its already beginning to grow in my stream. Ill try some in the bog area this year. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi
In the pond. Looking to plant things on my shelves which are about a foot to 8 inches below water line. I don't want to use pots if I don't have to. Looking for low maintenance plants. Kind you cut back in fall and will come back in spring.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you come across plants you like that are super cheap, you can give them a try wherever you like. I have been very surprised at how so many plants don't seem to know the "rules!" I have one that is supposed to like the crown just below the water surface. It has traveled all the way down to the deepest part of the bottom of the pond, and snaked back up on the other side! (Of course I couldn't tell you what it's called...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you don't want use pots on your shelves, how about those planting mesh bags. I get them on Amazon. I use those and they are less noticeable than a pot sitting there. The ones I use are 14" round by 7" deep and they have a draw string on them. They come in various sizes and the mesh is quite dense. The soil doesn't escape but the water can pass through.
I live in zone 6B and I want to mention a beautiful plant that comes back every year. I have it on a shelf in the pond. It's a marsh marigold and it gets bigger every year. It blooms beautiful yellow flowers most of the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Zone 6B.
My creeping jenny that had grown out their pots into the surrounding soil are greening up. Any that were just in pots, not rooted to the ground died. So, any of the mentioned plants need to be rooted into the ground to survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi
In the pond. Looking to plant things on my shelves which are about a foot to 8 inches below water line. I don't want to use pots if I don't have to. Looking for low maintenance plants. Kind you cut back in fall and will come back in spring.
Thanks

Any reeds, rushes, grasses, irises, etc. do great in the gravel on the shelves. When the plants are small, I build up the gravel under them so they are raised up a bit higher - most like the crown just under the water or even slightly above. The additional gravel - or even a few small rocks grouped together to form a "pot" which I then filled with gravel - gives them a chance to get started. Once they're established, they'll spread themselves out. Lizard tail is another good choice. I also have floating hearts which I love - they're like mini water lilies with pretty yellow flowers. Mine are planted on the shelf but they spread out to the middle of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Any reeds, rushes, grasses, irises, etc. do great in the gravel on the shelves. When the plants are small, I build up the gravel under them so they are raised up a bit higher - most like the crown just under the water or even slightly above. The additional gravel - or even a few small rocks grouped together to form a "pot" which I then filled with gravel - gives them a chance to get started. Once they're established, they'll spread themselves out. Lizard tail is another good choice. I also have floating hearts which I love - they're like mini water lilies with pretty yellow flowers. Mine are planted on the shelf but they spread out to the middle of the pond.
I like your idea of forming a "pot" out of stones and gravel. It's more natural and gives the plant room to spread its roots.

Ask a Question