Plants turning brown and brown spots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Hello all.
A few weeks ago I added plants to my pond for the first time this spring. I also brought out a canna from a winter inside. I ave noticed an increasing amount of brown spots on all of the foliage. Again last weekend I added another new black canna and a red Taro from the store. Once again they arrived in perfect condition but started developing brown spots like the others. The taro has it the worst out of all the plants. Last week i managed to clear up my green water problem by using lots of bio filtration and adding beneficial bacteria. The spotting started before the green water was cleared up. Two days ago I added a dose of d-solv 9 to clear up the remaining algae. The spotting remained and is still growing consistently.

My water chemistry is as follows:
Ammonia: close to 0
Nitrite: 0
Phosphate: close to 0
Hardness
Chlorine: 0
Total Hardness: ~225
Total Alkalinity: ~100
Now here's the big problem:
pH: ~9

I have been adding API pH down every day for 2 weeks and it has had little effect. I have tested morning, afternoon, and evening daily with 2 different test kits and it will sometimes drop below 9 to about 8.5, but it is always back up the next day.
https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=644 <= the pH down that I use.
I am really at a loss for what to do next. Please help me regulate my pH and save my new plants.
I tok close-ups of each plant in my pond below, except for the bulrush, cattail, and zebra rush which all seem to be unaffected by the ailment.
I noticed on my hyacinths especially that new growth does not have it, but acquires it after a while
PICS:
photos 184.JPG photos 185.JPG photos 186.JPG photos 187.JPG photos 188.JPG photos 189.JPG photos 190.JPG photos 191.JPG photos 193.JPG photos 194.JPG photos 195.JPG photos 197.JPG photos 198.JPG photos 200.JPG photos 202.JPG photos 203.JPG photos 211.JPG photos 215.JPG photos 216.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome Ralph- I'm not sure if the problem you are having with your plants is ph related. It could be caused by the chemicals you are adding to your pond to reduce algae. A ph of 9 is ok. You just want to keep your ph stable and not have major fluctuations. Can we get some more info about your pond and setup? How many gallons, how many fish and what type of filtration you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another possibility is the weather has there been limited sun? lots of rain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was going to suggest what Lisa did. Sometimes if I'm using my sprinkler and regular tap water drips on plants, it will do that. Some plants don't like to be splashed, even with pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Hey all, thanks for your quick responses!
@mrsclem This problem startes before I added the d-solv, so I don't think it is tied to that. My pond is slightly under 900 gallons, no fish as of yet, and filtration with 2 of these and bio balls in this. Sadly I'm not quite sure of the GPH of my pump.
@Lisak1 Up until a week ago I had a spitter going that was splashing quite a bit.
Last few weeks have been pretty sunny, a few days of rain, some very hot days in the mid 30s C (~95F).
There is definitely a chance of water splashing on the plants on a very hot day, so I think that's whats probably the problem on most of them.
I also made another mistake in moving my canna from inside to outside. I took it straight out, and only now did I find out that you are supposed to ease it back in. Does anyone have any suggestions for that one?
Thank you all so much again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about easing them to the outdoors but if that's the case i'd say keep it undercover / an overhand out of the hot sun. then move to part sun /shade and so on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Thanks for the advice everyone! I turned the spitter off and stopped adding products and the problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse so far! (y)

Ask a Question