Plastic pond ph high-HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got some little 1" long channel catfish. It was a one shot deal only time i could get them. I put them in a plastic pool until i can go get my pond out of storage. They are in a slightly larger size 4.5' across pool. Its filled the water hycenth, and loaded pretty full of plants. I have a large sponge filter in there and an additional air stone. Its only been running for 2 weeks. About 60, 1" long fish. My ph keeps climbing blue every day. I use ph reducer basicall every day if not 2x a day.
Why is my ph climbing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and what is blue what are the numbers. ph stability is more important then is an actual number

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1663549429665.gif
and welcome @robbor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What's your kh? If it's not high enough you'll continue to get ph swings. Don't worry about the number so much as the lack of stability. That's way more stressful on the fish than any actual number. Quit fighting it & make sure your kh is appropriately high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you using testing strips? They are not very accurate and if you can get a high range pH liquid test if would be more helpful.

Does blue mean that the pH is 14?

As you have found, using pH down is not a solution. That will just keep your pH fluctuating which is very stressful for your fish and can even kill them. Please stop using that.

You need to find the reason for your pH being at that level and correct that.

What is the pH of your tap water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This article has the gory details. pH fluctuates during the day, rising during daytime photosynthesis and falling during respiration at night. New ponds, fertilizer (including fish food), and rapidly growing plants with lots of sunshine can cause more photosynthesis than respiration, leading to overall rising pH. So maybe remove some of the water plants or provide some shade for now.

Managing high pH in freshwater ponds​

This factsheet by the Southern Regional Aquaculture Center (SRAC) gives information on managing high pH in freshwater ponds.

Ask a Question