Plastic Poultry Netting or Pond Net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I read somewhere that people use plastic poultry netting to make covers for their water lily pots to keep the koi from uprooting them. Has anyone ever tried the pond Net that keep the leaves out of the pond to cover them? Do you think the holes would be large enough for lillies to poke through? I added a layer of large rocks to the pots and the koi still managed to scatter kitty litter all over the place and uproot my plants. :(

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It would depend on the depth of the pot. Once lilies send up leaves, they unfold and get caught in netting with small openings. I use the 1" poultry net directly over the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It would depend on the depth of the pot. Once lilies send up leaves, they unfold and get caught in netting with small openings. I use the 1" poultry net directly over the plant.

Is the bird netting the same thing? Like the netting used in gardens to keep birds out of your strawberries?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one I use is a hexagonal opening but I guess the Bird-X netting could be used. It would need to be right next to the root to allow the leaves to come thru.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got b i rd netting for putting on trees. It didn't go well for me

Reaction score
Bird netting would would have too small of an opening for the stems to get through. You could try putting gravel on top of the litter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Take a look at some deer fencing, it works for me :)

I ordered this stuff. Hopefully it will work. It has 1 inch holes. My plan is to use this and elastic to basically make shower caps that I can slide them on and off the oil change trays I'm using for my water lillies.

Attachments

• IMG_5588.PNG
    IMG_5588.PNG
    154.9 KB · Views: 270

Ask a Question