Please anyone!!! Need a little help!!

OB1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tore down and cleaned my submersible pumps and filters last night, they are not hidden and all the plumbing is exposed. Now today I have a massive leak somewhere in the pond that I cannot find. I have search for hours on the internet trying to figure what kind of pond this is, who made it, hoping that perhaps the plug got dislodged, or to learn anything about this pond. I cannot find anything. I have leave town on deployment for a couple of months next week. I don't know what to do short of buying a stock tank from Lowes to keep the fish in till I figure it out!!! Any help would be appreciated!

Please forgive the water quality my Koi aren't very happy right now....

Attachments

• pond 1.jpeg
    pond 1.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 274
  • pond.jpeg
    pond.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 261

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is it a preformed because they do crack and they cannot be fixed

OB1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it is preformed...hope it isn't a crack... water loss has seemed to stop... I have enough water to support life but not as much as I would like... Gonna keep watching and measuring throughout the day. I am pretty handy with fiberglass but I would need the time to do it right and a large container to hold the fish in for a few days while I did it. Unfortunately time isn't a commodity I have a lot of right now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use stock tanks from tractor supply .You will need to clean the muck off to see if there is a crack .Do the hoses run outside the pond .I just went through a leak in my 5000 gallon pond so I feel your pain

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
on the left side of your pic is what looks like a waterfall start there that is where mine was .All my hoses run inside the pond and so do my filters tanks .Do you have an idea how old the pond is .

Attachments

• tanks and bulk head adapters 001.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 001.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 218
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 002.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 002.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 239
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 003.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 003.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 217
  • before after lesak in pond 184.JPG
    before after lesak in pond 184.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 210

OB1

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pumps, hoses, and filters are easily removed. It is just drop and play so unless there is leak in the hose that I cannot see and the water is being absorbed into the ground without me being able to see it.... I'm at a total loss, I turned off the one pump that was jammed up yesterday, maybe there is a leak there.... Water is at a premium cost here in San Diego I cant afford to keep losing 100 gallons everyday... Still no more water loss that I can tell. I have no idea how old the pond is... I cannot find anything like it online...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw one like it myself .I understand that .Can you change pout the hoses or check them closely .I found easiest way to find leak in hoses is to dry them off and lay a towel under them after you turn the pump on .With a preformed once it starts to crack it will keep cracking .Might better off putting a pvc liner on top of it .The pvc liners are much more flexable than a 45 mil and a heck of a lot cheaper .That or pull the whole thing out and start over .I have taken out a couple of prefab ponds for realtors here and as soon as you go to lean on them or pull on them they start to crack and never stop cracking .

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Yes it is preformed...hope it isn't a crack... water loss has seemed to stop... I have enough water to support life but not as much as I would like... Gonna keep watching and measuring throughout the day. I am pretty handy with fiberglass but I would need the time to do it right and a large container to hold the fish in for a few days while I did it. Unfortunately time isn't a commodity I have a lot of right now

A sizable stock tank is a good idea. You can also find variable size ones from agricultural stores. Suggest it be placed in a sheltered location such as under a patio cover if available since the tank and fish will be exposed to the elements more than usual. Good luck.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thank you for your service and thinking you are better off putting them in a stock tank so whoever is taking care of your fish will not have to deal with the leak .You could always pull out the preformed and put in a the pvc liner from lowes .Here pvc liners run about 39 dollars at lowes and you already have the hole

Reaction score
Have you turned off the pumps and watched the water level? If not then that is the first thing to do. If it's the pond then the water will stop at the place that the leak is. If the water doesn't drop then it's the plumbing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think he did that but out in Cali. the cost of water is not cheap and to me in the long run since he is being deployed it would be safer and cheaper to just buy a pvc liner for now so he does not have to worry about it cracking again ,which if it is a crack it will continue to crack .All the preforms I have dealt with that had crack continued to degrade and crack .less worry to him if it is redone with a liner and not hard to do .I did my big liner in 1 day and even dug the pond bigger ..

OB1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yall, were right!!!! I found the leak in the plumbing!! Crack in one of the hoses was allowing the water to disperse without me being able to tell the location. Easy fix, thank you all for the tips, crazy how a small crack in a hose can cost 100 gallons in 12 hours!

Ask a Question