Please help diagnose my koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
0AD2A1A1-FAD9-4882-A8BB-F7F75B4B59BB.jpeg

One of our koi has scales turning white and a few spots on their fins. Thought maybe carp pox but wanting to make sure we aren’t missing anything we can treat. Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Have you tried the forum KOIPHEN.com? They have an entire section dedicated to koi diseases, health issues, etc. I would give them a try. Be sure to give them more information, such as how many koi you have, if you’ve recently made any changes to your pond, and most important — they will want to know your water parameters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Sandee05 ! What a pretty fish!

I've seen koi pox that looks more like waxy warts or pimples. This looks more like your fish is losing color... but I am far from an expert! I would second @Mmathis advice about asking for help on Koiphen.

Reaction score
I would go for carp pox since it’s hot that melted candle wax look... the bit on the dorsal fine looks exactly like the pox I had (gone this year) on my chagoi koi. The spots in the sides is a bit odd just because it’s on single scales. Koiphen it up!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go for carp pox since it’s hot that melted candle wax look... the bit on the dorsal fine looks exactly like the pox I had (gone this year) on my chagoi koi. The spots in the sides is a bit odd just because it’s on single scales. Koiphen it up!
I have posted it to Koiphen. Just waiting on a diagnosis :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like you have a couple of answers on KOIPHEN. Please keep us up to date on what you find out and how the koi is doing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I saw those responses, too. Personally I would go with the wait and see approach. I'm never a fan of over-treating and the suggestion to try to scrape it off and what not seemed a bit extreme. If it is koi pox, which makes sense considering it just showed up with the change of weather, there isn't anything you can do anyway. A fungal infection will continue to get worse, which you will be able to observe without any scraping or pasting. If I had a skin fungus, I don't think I would go about scraping it off. Nor is anethesizing a fish the easies thing in the world!

But that's just my opinion - like I said, not a fish health expert. I just apply how I would approach a health situation in my own family to my pets!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw those responses, too. Personally I would go with the wait and see approach. I'm never a fan of over-treating and the suggestion to try to scrape it off and what not seemed a bit extreme. If it is koi pox, which makes sense considering it just showed up with the change of weather, there isn't anything you can do anyway. A fungal infection will continue to get worse, which you will be able to observe without any scraping or pasting. If I had a skin fungus, I don't think I would go about scraping it off. Nor is anethesizing a fish the easies thing in the world!

But that's just my opinion - like I said, not a fish health expert. I just apply how I would approach a health situation in my own family to my pets!

Caught the fish today and inspected closer and 99%positive it’s pox. Very firm and not able to scrape off. The fin ones are equally as hard and waxy in appearance, so just leaving the fish be. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Caught the fish today and inspected closer and 99%positive it’s pox. Very firm and not able to scrape off. The fin ones are equally as hard and waxy in appearance, so just leaving the fish be. :)

I would agree. I think, as knowledgable as some koi folks are, too often they want to DO SOMETHING when sometimes the best thing to do is just observe. Not ever condition improves with human intervention.

Reaction score
What age is your koi?
My koi had pox for three years. It would come and go through the year (regardless of water temps).... until this year he was totally free of it.

Ask a Question