Please help fish emergency!

Reaction score
Please can anybody help? In the last week I have lost as many as 20 koi fish I want to help save the remaining fish. It seemed very odd because lots of the fish dyed at almost the same time 5 one day, 5 the next day etc and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with them. I noticed some of the smaller fish had ulcers and one has a white substance around it's scales (shown on picture attached) the water flow is fine and I tested the water and as far as I can see the water is also fine.
ill Koi.jpgill koi 2.jpg

Reaction score
please provide some info , pond size, age, ph readings,etc. this looks very similar what happened to my fish.

Reaction score
The pond size is 12ft x 10ft it contains 5000 litres. I am not sure about the ages of the fish I have had them in my pond for about 4 years but the one shown in the picture must be at least 10 years old. I don't know what the water tests showed because I get them done in a shop but I was told they were all normal. The fish aren't moving very much just in the bottom of the pond some are at the top. The water temperature is 6°c would you suggest giving them some wheatgerm? Also we have done a water change.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not feed them 6 c is around 48 F, you should not feed fish when the water temp is below 13 c (55f) some say 10 c (50f).

When the water is cold the fish don't do a lot of swimming. I wish I could help you with the problem, I don't have koi.

Reaction score
Thankyou for the advice I know the fish don't swim very much when the water is cold but they don't seem to be their normal selves but I have noticed after the water change 2 days ago some of them seem to be looking healthier but they still have ulcers and that white substance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm new to ponding, less than a year, so I will be following this thread to find out what you learn about the fish problem. I'm hoping someone answers your question soon! There are very informed moderators on this Forum, I suspect they have not seen your topic yet. This response will help keep it at the top! Good luck.

Reaction score
you need to get a good test kit. one with drops, not test strips. you need to know what the parameters of your water are before you can make any needed adjustments. Your pond sounds very overcrowded. This is not good. how many fish do you have? I don't proclaim to be an expect but I had a similar problem. It was brought on by stress and i lost several koi. I raised my salt level as high as I could to kill off any parasites. make sure you know the level of chlorine and use the dechlor after the water changes. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in. good luck.

Reaction score
The pet shop I go to does use the drop test kits and I have had about 25 fish in my pond 2 large koi about 16in and the others small goldfish and koi. Last year I hadn't bought any more fish and I hadn't lost any fish either it seemed a very good year because normally I lose the odd one and then suddenly I get this I only have about 7 left now. I have been using the dechlor after the water changes. How do I raise the salt level?
Many thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Start at your pet store . Ask them to calaculate the amount of water and then buy the proper amount of salt. Add it in small amounts, checking the water an hour or so after each dose. Raise the amount slowly. I have a salt meter it was around 20 us and is a good investment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good luck, Quincy! I hope you get things straightened out with your pond and fish illness. I'm watching and learning. I know that salt can cure lots of different types of illnesses and maybe parasite problems. I hope the salt helps get your fish back to the road of recovery.

Reaction score
quincy did you find out what the problem was? Is everything ok now? Our fish our dying and we can't figure out what the problem is. It's still too cold for them and they are not eating yet...

Ask a Question