Please help me upgrade to a better filter

Reaction score
I currently have this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8442-48650-MFBX500P&lpage=none

or rather, the model from about 7 years ago. But it is the exact same in every way. Filter element, bio balls, submersible, the works. I am tired of it's poor filtering performance, and I am very tired of reaching down into the water and pulling it out when it's time to clean it. Don't get me wrong, I like being involved with my pond. But I also like to stay out of the darn thing if I can. And when that filter box is full of water it is very heavy and due to the way my pond is built, a very big pain to get out of the water and up onto land so that it can be cleaned. It usually ends up spilling about half the sediments that it filtered, back into the water on the way up and out of the water. The pond is only roughly 600-700 gallons, but it is almost 3 feet deep and has high rock sidewalls now. I put the sidewalls in recently to deter pests and so far it has been working great. So anyway, I want to upgrade to this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=187206-70161-19048&lpage=none

What do yall think? It would be out of the water and much more easily maintenanced, it seems. But why is it called a "pressure" filter? Do I have to run high pump water pressure or something? Here is the filter that goes in it:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=190549-70161-19076&lpage=none

I already have a tetra brand UV clarifier that has utterly destroyed the suspended algae in my pond, letting me be able to see to the bottom of my pond for the first time in many years. However, the submersible box filter that I have now is doing a very poor job of filtering any kind of sediment that may be in the water. If you look closely you can see all manner of junk floating in it. Thoughts? Opinions?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the box filters that go before your pump underwater are all garbage...no matter the brand. the pressure filter would be a big improvement and you can bury it up to the lid..so real easy to hide but you can build a diy uplflow for less that will out perform most store boughts. there are plans for several here on this site. convert the 55 gal versions to a 30+ gal trash can if you like...or the 70 gal stocktank to a slightly smaller version.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koiguy is right! The upflow, homebuilt filters will outperform any storebought filter, no matter the cost. I challenge any commercial filter manufacturer to a contest.

My water is always 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, crystal clear and I never get my hands wet cleaning it. The output comes out like bottled water from the store.

I have had over 100 guests/tours here in the past 5 months since the spawn in May. The second thing I hear is how clear my ponds are. That is only because before they get to my ponds they remark how beautiful my yard is.

Oh and after 18 months of not testing, see the above results, taken yesterday.

I have 8 each 20" to 24" breeders, 6 each 8", 12 each 4" to 6" and about 100 each 2-3" fry in my 1500 gallon total volume ponds.

http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/doc_bio_filter.html

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. Very cool that it can be buried in the ground. That is going to help me out a lot. But er, mind posing a link to the upflow filter guide that you would follow, for a 600-700 gallon pond? I do not have a waterfall of any kind, and can not install one as the pond is on my grandparent's land where I live. My grandmother has a yard she is really proud of and is unlikely to let me go landscaping it lol. But what actual filter element do you put in the bucket on the upflow type? That's why I liked that pressure filter I posted so much. Cause the filter element looked really beefy, like it would work really well.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no.... a 5 gallon bucket is not going to do the job get a 30 gallon outdoor plastic trash can or bigger..and its the pressure filter that can be buried...

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm using a 20 gallon (rectangle) rubbermaid tub in ground next to my pond that serves as a skimmer/pre-filter, and holds the water pump and heater. Works quite well for my 365 gallon pond. In the spring I will re-attach the 27 gallon Boi-filter behind the water fall. This last summer my whole filter system evolved to what it is now thanks to all of the great infromation shared here at this forum.

Thanks to all that shared so much pond wisdom here.

Reaction score
Well I don't think I am up to building my own just yet. And my pond is only a small 600-700 gallons. What do yall think about this one? Looks like they don't sell the one I posted earlier anymore. I have the UV clarifier covered already, but do you think this one will be good at catching sediments like fish food, fish poop, small plant fragments, etc? And when do you need to actually go into it and clean out all the gunk? It says that it has a way to backflush it to clear out all the crap, but I don't see that being enough in the long term. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/TetraFish/pond/PondProducts.aspx?id=3060

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
The filter modual is to small for 600 gallon pond, even if it can be back flushed.

You can make a home made filter that more efficient, easier to maintain, and a whole lot cheaper.

Reaction score
Hmm, looks like you may be right about that. However, it does say that it's for a 1500 gallon pond. Wonder why they say that with such a small filter module? Strange.

Ask a Question