please help me winterize these plants properly.

Reaction score
IMAG0979.jpg

Ok I have figured out how to keep fish through the winter but I know nothing about plants. Hoping some of you can tell me which plants I can cut down and plunk into 2.5 feet deep water and what needs to come out? Any other advice? FYI I took the lily pad out, cut it in half, and put it half into my 40 gallon tank and half into my 75. The tall stuff, cattails maybe, looks terrible right now. I think a couple of them are corkscrew rush? Then I wonder about the big purple one and the one under it, submersed in water. Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought the large leafed, purple colored one, might be a variety of taro or elephant ear? If so, I've only grown them in soil and I dig them up, dry them and store the bulbs in vermiculite over the winter.

I've read accounts here of folks growing them in their bogs etc, which I think sounds beautiful. I'm thinking they aren't a variety of plant to winter in the bottom of the pond....just my two cents:) Kim

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
agree with tula, the purple leaf won't survive the winter, pull it and dry the tuber.

I have pickerel weed, cattails, iris, rush, I just leave them where they are and they do fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave my plants where they are, but I also accept some might not make it through the winter.So far all have come back, so far

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need to know how you made those beautiful barrel falls!!!

those plants are pretty :)

Reaction score
Nepen said:
I need to know how you made those beautiful barrels

those plants are pretty :)
Thanks Nepen! The smaller barrel on the left was purchased at a place called Wadells in kalamazoo MI. I just ran a hose into the bottom and filled it with gravel. The bigger one on the right is a rain barrel from Home Depot. the water enters at the bottom and overflows out the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I want the small one.. :) I like that it has the rim made for the water fall. I wish it sells online!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the black elephant ear does need taken in in cold climates.I have them planted in my yard and it has been 3 years now .I have 12 of them and after frost cut the tops off and mulch them over .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60301]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:59527]

Ask a Question