Please help save my fish!

Reaction score
I got a 55 gallon goldfish pond in June. It came with three very large goldfish, about 8 inches each. I added four very small goldfish about 2 inches each. I then read more about them and found that they will need a much larger pond. I am in the process of finding someone to make a larger pond, but I am having some problems with the fish now. I have three large goldfish, I am not sure what kind, but they have very large single tails. They are doing just fine. I also have two small black fantail fish. They are also doing fine. I also have two small orange fantail fish. They were fine for the first week, but now they are moving very slowly and keep coming to the surface and gulping air. They are all eating plenty, I feed them flake fool, lettuce and peas. I have a fountain for aeration. I am afraid they will die! They are active during feeding time, and none of the fish are fighting. They don't appear to be injured. But they just float along with the currant most of the time. What am I doing wrong, besides the obviously too small pond? Please help!

Reaction score
I got a 55 gallon goldfish pond in June. It came with three very large goldfish, about 8 inches each. I added four very small goldfish about 2 inches each. I then read more about them and found that they will need a much larger pond. I am in the process of finding someone to make a larger pond, but I am having some problems with the fish now. I have three large goldfish, I am not sure what kind, but they have very large single tails. They are doing just fine. I also have two small black fantail fish. They are also doing fine. I also have two small orange fantail fish. They were fine for the first week, but now they are moving very slowly and keep coming to the surface and gulping air. They are all eating plenty, I feed them flake fool, lettuce and peas. I have a fountain for aeration. I am afraid they will die! They are active during feeding time, and none of the fish are fighting. They don't appear to be injured. But they just float along with the currant most of the time. What am I doing wrong, besides the obviously too small pond? Please help!

Reaction score
I am sad to say that they are gasping for air. You need to do at least a 25% water change with an ammonia binder as I have a feeling there may be ammonia build up from overfeeding right now and you have no biological filtration. It will help with oxygen too. Cut back on the food right now until you have a bigger pond. If you can take the four goldfish back that would also help. An air pump and stone will help as well. Maybe some of the others will chime in with some more ideas to help.

Reaction score
I am sad to say that they are gasping for air. You need to do at least a 25% water change with an ammonia binder as I have a feeling there may be ammonia build up from overfeeding right now and you have no biological filtration. It will help with oxygen too. Cut back on the food right now until you have a bigger pond. If you can take the four goldfish back that would also help. An air pump and stone will help as well. Maybe some of the others will chime in with some more ideas to help.

Reaction score
I just did a water change of about 50% with water conditioner. They are already acting better! I suppose I could take them back, but I really like them! They all seem to have their own personalities! I am considering taking them inside until the new pond is finished. I have two 40 gallon aquariums that are empty right now. But I wonder if it would hurt them to take them inside, then put them back out when the new pond is finished? It will be starting to get chilly outside by then. Or should I maybe keep them inside until next spring?or just do more frequent water changes? I hadn't changed the water in about a month because it looked very clear. I didn't realize I should change it anyway. I think I may be in over my head here!

Reaction score
I just did a water change of about 50% with water conditioner. They are already acting better! I suppose I could take them back, but I really like them! They all seem to have their own personalities! I am considering taking them inside until the new pond is finished. I have two 40 gallon aquariums that are empty right now. But I wonder if it would hurt them to take them inside, then put them back out when the new pond is finished? It will be starting to get chilly outside by then. Or should I maybe keep them inside until next spring?or just do more frequent water changes? I hadn't changed the water in about a month because it looked very clear. I didn't realize I should change it anyway. I think I may be in over my head here!

PS3

Reaction score
do a water change and get a air pump like the terta's and get a air stone.they sell a big air pump that can fit 2 air hoses and air stones
and put this in the water and it will help. if u have some
empty fish tanks put some of the fish in

PS3

Reaction score
do a water change and get a air pump like the terta's and get a air stone.they sell a big air pump that can fit 2 air hoses and air stones
and put this in the water and it will help. if u have some
empty fish tanks put some of the fish in

Ask a Question