Please help with my sick koi

Reaction score
Hello All,
I need some advice on how to deal with my sick koi. She's been sick since early winter. Her tail is severely bent and she just lays on the bottom and doesn't move very much. Also I noticed in late fall she wasn't eating much. My local pond store was helping me with water tests and we tried a couple different treatments but nothing seemed to help. The guy at the store probably doesn't know as much as some of you on this forum. She just got worse. She was on her side Wednesday morning. I thought she was dead but started moving a bit and now just laying on the bottom right side up. I think it's time to euthanize her. I really don't know what to do. I think she's suffered too long already.
Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Are you able to pull her from the pond and put her in a tub with some air stones? You could get a better look at her and see if there're any visible signs of a problem.

She may not tolerate cold weather well. I've heard of similar symptoms that cleared when brought inside for the winter.

If you have a microscope, you could scrape and scope to look for any parasites, but thinking this isn't likely.

Reaction score
I didn't want to scoop her out. I thought that would cause more harm (injury or stress). I just feel horrible that she's suffering.
Do you think it would be ok to pull her out? How big of a tub would I need?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How big is this koi? If I had a koi this ill, I'd use a tub that would comfortably hold it and make sure the water was dechlorinated and add an air stone. Try to keep the temperatures from pond water to tub as close as possible....you can even use pond water to fill the tub and allow it to come to room temperature slowly. Also be sure to cover the tub.

I hate to say it, but what have you got to lose by trying? It sounds like it could have a spinal injury if the tail is severely bent. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Reaction score
She is about 16" maybe a bit bigger. I got her 7 years ago in May.
I'm going to look and see what size containers I have.
I've never had to deal with this with a fish. At least with my dogs, I could just take them to the vet and get a definite answer or some options.
Thanks for your help and support

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you do put her in a tub, please post a picture here, if possible.

Koiphen.com is a site dedicated solely to koi and they have a health care committee.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some people use Rubbermaid stock tanks as quarantine/hospital tanks. I just bought a 150 gallon stock tank from Amazon and had it delivered in three days. Or if you have a Tractor Supply store you can get them there as well.

If your looking for something less expensive (but also smaller) you can use a Rubbermaid tote (storage container) or even a big cooler if you happen to have one laying around. These might be better if your just using it to view the fish or treat short term (ammonia will build up fast in a small container)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hello All,
I need some advice on how to deal with my sick koi. She's been sick since early winter. Her tail is severely bent and she just lays on the bottom and doesn't move very much. Also I noticed in late fall she wasn't eating much. My local pond store was helping me with water tests and we tried a couple different treatments but nothing seemed to help. The guy at the store probably doesn't know as much as some of you on this forum. She just got worse. She was on her side Wednesday morning. I thought she was dead but started moving a bit and now just laying on the bottom right side up. I think it's time to euthanize her. I really don't know what to do. I think she's suffered too long already.
Thanks,
Mike
you can try antibacterial , the way ur telling seems to be very little chance it will survive but its big fish it will fight , what do u feed (vit C) ? did u check water(can b bad quality)? whats size of pond ? do u have circuit breaker(can b shock or lightening)?
i dont blame storeguy , this disease is mysterious , do u see any other fish with these symptoms slight ? can b injury too

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Mike I'm having a similar issue, but with a younger fish, maybe 1 1/2 years old, max 2. Not sure of the sex. Bottom near the tail looks bent and when it swims it has a very exaggerated wiggle, not the normal glide. The normal white of the tail area looks pink. We are just entering the second month of autumn so I seriously doubt the fish is egg laden but some said it was possible... I'll try post a video

Ask a Question