Please HELP with this basic filter question.

Reaction score
Ok, below is the pond i just inherited with my new home. Its under 500 gallons with a 3 tier waterfall about 4.5 feet high.

Two hoses supply the waterfall. One to the top level of the fall, and another to the wider bottom level. Here is the pump which as you can see is metal and its real heavy.

My newbie questions: I assume I can get a mechanical and bio filter that will connect to the open end of the pump and this one pump will run the waterfall as well as the filter...? OR, should I just let this pump run the waterfall and get a separate mechanical + bio filter combo that just sits on the bottom of the pond and filters the water. I would rather not use a high pressure filter system which sits outside the pond (but I will if thats what you recommend). Im ok with spending the money necessary to get a good filter and deal with as few water problems as possible. Not sure which is the top brand in filters, or which is the best site to order from but let me know if this plan is ok. Meaning, leave this pump (pictured) to power the falls and get a separate combo filter to handle mechanical, bio and possibly even some UV light filtering. If this wont work, let me know. Really appreciate the help!

application.pdf

application.pdf

application.pdf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... well I tried to open your first address and my computer said "Firefox cannot open, as it does not know the webkit-fake" or something like that.
Instead of posting an url, try to post the actual pictures. Use the "More Reply Options" at the bottom of the window while you are typing a message. Then either use "choose files" or "use basic uploader". Make sure your pic is not huge, there is a limit for size. It's much easier for people to answer when they can see the item and not have to open another window. :)
Oh, and WELCOME TO THE GARDEN POND FORUM! You should go to the "Introductions" and start a short thread there, tell a little about yourself, what size pond you have, etc. It's a requirement of this site to "introduce" yourself. :)
Oh, and it just dawned on me. I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you're allowed to post a pic, so I bet that's why they are coming up as urls, rather than the actual pic! So, post several questions on separate posts here, then try the pic again!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can use one pump to run your falls and your filter, just place the filter at the top of the falls, once the water runs through the filter it flows out into your waterfalls. There are several different filters you can build and there are directions in the diy section of the forum. I would build your own vs buying one will cost you lot less money and they are pretty easy even for the amateur to build. Some people use stocktanks, 55g barrels, and some of us have combinations of different types of filters, you could even build a bog as your filter.

Can't open your pictures that you attached.

Ask a Question